| MAN'S BEST FRIEND | PT 5

"Justice."

"Work."

"School."

"Fail."

"Lose."

"Win."

Joon stands patiently in front of Bud & Lou's cage within Brooklyn's animal regulations office, only this time, with an audio player in his hand. Johnny and Joon's conversation projects from the recorder while Jin leans against the cage and watches with folded arms.

"You recorded your conversation with the professor?"

"I record all of my conversations with suspects. Mr. Haley used an attack command to trigger these dogs, I know it. But there's millions of possibilities. He could dangle the word in front of me and I wouldn't have a clue... But these dogs would. If Mr. Haley did in fact say the word during our conversation, the dogs will react."

Just then, the office's telephone rings loudly from its little sub-room. Bud & Lou instantly stand up and whimper, reminiscent of the last time someone dialed.

"W-why are they getting up?" Jin flinches.

"It's something to do with the phone. It's like they react to it but not enough to turn violent. I'll answer it."

Joon places the audio player inside their cage and lets the recording carry on whilst making his way to the telephone.

"Detective Joon speaking."

"Joon, it's Bullock. I'm calling about the death order on these dogs. This judge is on my case about getting them put down tomorrow—"

"Commissioner, I understand that they killed a man but I'm not so sure it was really the dogs. I can't prove anything without them. Please just get the judge to hold off a little longer—"

"GRRR!! WOOF WOOF!"

"Joon! JOON!"

The Detective instantly abandons his phone call and hurries back into the room to witness Bud & Lou aggressively trapping Jin's pant sleeve between their growling teeth. Joon quickly pulls his friend free which diverts their attention to the record player, which they chew instead.

"What happened?"

"I don't know! I was just chilling here and they went crazy!"

Joon watches the two Dobermen run around their cage like a pair of moths in a jar. His gaze occasionally shifts to the record player as he pinches his chin and thinks...

Finally, he's got it.

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
🐾
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Mr. Haley approaches his home with a briefcase in-hand and a sophisticated work suit to hug his form. Upon entering, his brows slowly lower at the sudden blare of his telephone ringing from the kitchen. He lowers his suitcase and enters the dark room... Only for his eyes to bulge at the straw dummy that now dangles from the hook on his kitchen ceiling, dressed in Charlie's vest.

Johnny freezes in place at the sight until Bud & Lou suddenly enter the kitchen through their door flap and hurry towards the phone with familiar whimpers. It's as if the crime scene has been recreated through a nightmare.