20. Famous Last Words

(Author's Note: this chapter is dedicated to all the other writers who have given the ONC2023 their best shot!)

"If you want anything done right, then do it yourself," said Bogdan to himself, as he followed his uncle down the street. He knew Yelt was on his way to visit Paul Finn and he wanted to hear what they said.

When they reached Finn's apartment, he waited outside the building to allow time for Frank Yelt to be admitted upstairs. He was just about to go in when the door was flung open by two burly men followed by a tight-lipped Chris Maddon.

Bogdan turned around quickly, pretending to walk the other way. He didn't think Maddon had recognized him, but what was he doing here? Had Maddon been visiting Finn as well? Curious, Bogdan hurried up to the apartment, hoping he hadn't missed anything important.

If anyone questioned him, he had an urgent matter to discuss with Paul Finn, his uncle's employee, but no one challenged him. A quick check that he was alone in the corridor, and Bogdan placed a listening device against the wall. The conversation inside came through clearly on his single earphone. Finn was speaking.

"I can do both, I have my own reasons for wanting to find Kam. I nearly died as a result of his little scheme with Mikel."

He recognised his uncle's voice.

"Fair enough. I guess I'd feel the same. I have to get back to work. Keep me informed."

Then came the sound of footsteps and Bogdan had to grab the listening device and hurry off.

So, Finn was going after some guy called Kam. Interesting. That could provide a perfect opportunity for him, Bogdan. He raced downstairs to the basement and located Finn's hovercar in a matter of seconds. Carefully, he attached a tiny tracker to the underside and then a second one further along as a precaution. He just had time to duck out of sight before Finn entered the basement. As Bogdan had hoped, he climbed into his 'car and steered it out through the back gateway.

Bogdan smiled when he saw that both his trackers were working. Now, to go home and collect his own hovercar, as well as a few important items that might come in handy. Then, he would follow his target.

If all went well, he could take out Finn and put the blame on Kam.

Bogdan hadn't expected the trail to end in the middle of nowhere, in Kadina Forest Park. He'd expected a city destination, but on consideration, this might work even better. He spotted Finn's hovercar on the ground almost immediately but could see no other vehicles around. So, either Kam had been dropped off or he wasn't here, yet.

Bogdan brought his own 'car down some distance away and parked it under a large tree, hiding it from casual view as best he could. Then he made his way through the scrub to where Finn's 'car was parked.

He scouted around, and set up position about fifty metres away, with a clear line of sight to the mouth of the cave. There was no way he was going in there himself. Now, all he had to do, was wait until Finn came out.

~~~

Kam checked his wristcom and turned his hovercar north. Only an hour before the ransom payment was due, time to get back to the cave. He needed to check that Rik was still trapped inside, that he hadn't by some miracle managed to escape. He wanted to be certain there would be no last-minute threat to the credits being transferred to his account. He wished now, that he had set an earlier deadline, but he hadn't wanted to appear too desperate.

The sight of another 'car in the clearing below was like a punch to the heart. Who the fuck was it? Had they found Rik and how the fuck had they known to come to this spot?

He landed behind the unknown vehicle and jumped out, stunner in hand. He peered inside the other 'car but it was empty. A check of the registration code told him the vehicle was registered to a stranger, Paul Finn. Could he be working for Chris Maddon? Though surely if Maddon had believed his son was here, he would have sent a search party, not one individual. It didn't make sense.

Kam searched the rest of the clearing thoroughly, and then the area in front of the cave opening. Nothing except a few footprints. He took up position on the hillside, and prepared to wait. He'd fully intended to dispose of Rik, if he found him again, after he got the money, but now, Rik, and whoever had followed him, had a chance.

If the payment went through before they emerged, he would take that as a sign and leave, and they would live. If they came out before the ransom was paid, however...

He made certain his stunner was set on "kill" and smiled as he took a practice aim at the cave mouth.

Whatever happened, this was going to be a win/win for him.

(Author's Note - final chapter coming out tomorrow...🥂)