FIFTEEN

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life...
It goes on."

- Robert Frost

Many months passed

Many months passed. The rains of Spring slowly petered to an end. Like Kip's red fur, new plants grew back strong and thick. Boughs of trees bent under the weight of their own lush green plumage. The vixen was stretched out comfortably in the shade of an oak tree outside her den, scratching at an ear while her two kits played in the flower-filled meadow before her. Like the foliage they built their new home in, Neer and Vin had also grown up big and strong.

A cooling breeze wafted over the field, making the grasses and flowers of their peaceful home all bob like the rolling waves of a sea. Kip drew in a long inhale, stifling yet another cough. She shut her eyes and savored the songs of birds and the pleasant aroma of sun-warmed grasses and wildflowers. The laughter of her kits echoed from every tree surrounding the field. She wanted to hold on to that single moment of peace-to keep it pinned forever under her scarred paws like a treasure.

But, much to any mortal creature's dismay, time continued to march on, just as it always did.

The sun continued to rise and fall. Days were spent in blissful warm sunshine as the family played and hunted together, without fear of rabid creatures or winged beasts. Though, as the kits grew bigger, they became more independent and often left Kip's side to explore the territory on their own. At night, Kip and her two kits would rest together on the hilltop, contemplating the heavens in comfortable silence. They would all gasp in wonder when brilliant streaks of light would flash across the star-speckled sky as satellites fell from space, one by one. Then, they would all file into their den and sleep snuggled in a happy tangle together in their nest.

When the weather grew crisp and the leaves turned red like a fox's fur and began to drop from the trees, Neer was the first to leave their little den beneath the oak tree. With a newly hatched butterfly companion clinging to his silver and orange fur, he bid his mother and sister farewell. With a heavy, aching heart, Kip touched her nose to Neer's and wished her son good fortune on his journey. He just smiled at her in return-a crooked smile that was so much like Fell's. He turned away from the den and wandered down the hill into the meadow, taking a leisurely stroll to claim his own territory somewhere in the world.

And when the trees grew bare and swirls of frost and ice crystallized the surface of every pond and stream, a lone young male wandered into Kip's territory and stole Vin's heart. Much too soon afterward, Kip thought, Vin keened and licked at her mother's muzzle in goodbye. Then she and her mate skipped away from Kip's den, wagging their tails and playfully nipping at each other's ears the whole way as they began their journey together.

Kip remained alone at the top of the hill beneath the bare oak tree. Even after her daughter had long since disappeared in the distance, the vixen sat in tranquil silence, admiring her world. The skies had grown gray and swirled with dark clouds. The wind bit at her hide.

But, even half-blind, she thought the world had never looked more beautiful.

She only hoped she would leave it a more beautiful place than the one she arrived in.

It was only when little flurries spiraled down from the sky like white moths, and white specks clung to her fur, that Kip finally decided it was time to retire to her den for the evening.

While the forest turned white and silent with snowfall, Kip limped her way inside her home, circled until she was comfortable, and laid down to sleep alone. She was still a mother, even without cubs. Without Neer and Vin, her home felt cold and so empty. All her aches and pains that had never quite healed since their journey ended complained even more. But the thought that her cubs would go on to live happy lives kept her warm inside. She heaved a sigh into her leafy nest. Finally, after all this time, she could stop running. So, this is what peace feels like, she thought.

The exhausted vixen shut her eyes. A familiar scent that made her heart ache wafted over her then, and the warmth of another body filled the den. A plush silver fox settled next to Kip, and he curled his body around hers. Kip happily nestled closer into her mate with a contented sigh.

And she fell asleep dreaming of Spring and warm, sunny things.

🦋🦋🦋

When the snow melted and yellow and purple crocuses popped out of the ground, and little green buds sprang forth in all of the trees, the forest became alive with the songs of birds building their nests and the promises of new lives to come. In the shade of an oak tree, a cocoon suspended in the orbit of a fox skull quivered. The glossy green casing split, and two wings emerged from inside it. The monarch butterfly crawled out of its chrysalis and rested atop the skull, letting wings that were red as a fox's fur dry in the sunshine. The fox's skeleton rested peacefully, mostly covered by wildflowers, as if enjoying the butterfly's company.

There was a gentle breath of wind that stirred the butterfly's antennae. It flapped its dry wings, ready for its first flight.

Then the creature took to the sky, leaving the bones below.

End.

976/20057 words (not including quotes, lyrics, and word counts)

It's hard letting goI'm finally at peace, but it feels wrongSlow I'm getting upMy hands and feet are weaker than beforeBut I'm already thereI'm already thereWherever there is youI will be there tooThere's nothing that I'd take backBut it's hard to...

I'm finally at peace, but it feels wrong
Slow I'm getting up
My hands and feet are weaker than before
But I'm already there
I'm already there
Wherever there is you
I will be there too
There's nothing that I'd take back
But it's hard to say there's nothing I regret

The Bones Below | ONC 2023 | ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara