Chapter 26

Extract from New York Post, May 24:
Comet not seen since the time of Christ enters Earth’s orbit.

The Resurgam comet will light up the night sky during the next week as the body of celestial matter enters the earth’s atmosphere, streaming a colored tail of dust and gas. The comet was named with the Latin Resurgam meaning ‘I shall rise again’ because it hasn’t been seen since 33AD, the time of Jesus Christ. In ancient times, comets were considered to be bad omens and indeed some have claimed that the violent weather events currently wreaking havoc in the South East are related to the comet's approach.

Celestial influence has been seen recently with Elenin, a comet that passed close to the earth in 2011. During the period it aligned with the Earth and the Sun, earthquakes wracked the planet producing the Japanese 9.0 quake, Christchurch in New Zealand and before that, Chile. There is a concern that the Resurgam comet will have a similar impact, bringing widespread natural disturbances. There are claims from conspiracy theorists that the government is covering up the possibility of cataclysmic occurrences but repeated statements from NASA downplay the potential impact.
“There is some evidence that the sun is becoming more active and earth-changing events are becoming more intense and frequent,” NASA scientist Dr Marie Isherwood said at a press conference this morning. “But it is pure fiction to suggest that comets have any impact on the earth’s climate. They just don’t have enough mass to generate such a gravitational pull.”

However, religious groups say the comet is evidence supporting the Biblical references to the end times. Pastor Jesse Warren of San Bernandino said, “The gospel of St Mark says that in the end times there will be earthquakes and famines. The earth will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken. These are the beginnings of birth-pains, for the new world will be born in this turmoil.”

The book of Revelation further describes these end times. “There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red, and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as late figs drop from a fig-tree when shaken by a strong wind. The sky receded like a scroll, rolling up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.”

Wherever you stand on the debate, the best views of the comet will be in the desert areas of the Northern Hemisphere, away from city lights. Sightings can be logged on the NASA website that will be tracking the comet’s movements across the skies.

***

You can buy this book and the rest of the ARKANE series in print, audio and ebook format at Amazon, Kobo and other online stores. You can sign up for my newsletter, follow me on Twitter, or like my Facebook page. For more information, see JFPenn.com Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!