Chapter 5

Servants came with trays of fruit and roast ham and bread and all sorts

Servants came with trays of fruit and roast ham and bread and all sorts. So much that Fern was tempted to hide some of it in her dress for later. She would've done, but she knew when Aegon returned it wouldn't be the best look for him to open her dress and watch grapes fall out.
After she'd finished the feast that Aegon had sent to her, she'd been just looking at a stray book when there was an all too familiar knock on the door.
Fern desperately rushed to Aegon's wardrobe, amazed by all his fine clothes. The clothes he usually wore when not in the rags he donned to travel about King's Landing.
She wondered what he looked like in all those pretty clothes.
Shaking the thought away at the sound of another knock on the door, Fern grabbed the plainest looking shirt she could see and pulled it over herself.
She opened the door, being greeted by Aegon's younger brother again.
He still looked away from her. Still hid his face. This time he had hair in front of it, obviously hoping it would hide the jagged scar a bit better.
It was still fresh.
Still looked terribly painful.
“My Prince.” Fern tried her best to curtsey but stumbled as she did.
“Aegon sent me.” He grumbled, seeming less than pleased by the fact he was being sent as a messenger to a whore. “He wanted you to know that he's with The Queen and Princess Helaena. He wants you to wait a little longer.”
“Oh. Alright, I suppose. Thank you, my Prince.”
Aemond nodded.
But as he did, his eye got caught on her hand.
Or, more specifically, the book she was holding.
He looked back up at her in surprise. “You like to read the histories?”
Fern looked down at the book having forgotten she was holding it and a blush crossed her cheeks.
“I– I would like to. I've always wanted to. But I'm afraid I can't actually read, my Prince.”
A look of regret crossed his face. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean–”
“It's alright. Fine ladies probably do lots of reading. I'm just not the sort of girl you usually talk to, I'm guessing.”
Aemond hummed an agreement, awkwardly looking anywhere but at her.
She was all too aware of how... Sheer Aegon's shirt was and she too found herself becoming rather uncomfortable.
“You don't seem like the girls Aegon usually brings to his room.” Aemond said, making her eyes shoot back to him.
“How do you mean, my Prince?”
“You don't seem like...”
“A woman of ill repute?” She guessed, saving him the embarrassment. The Prince nodded. “I was a serving girl until last week.”
“What happened?”
Fern smiled gently but he couldn't help but notice the look of sadness in her eyes. “I wasn't earning my keep pouring drinks and fetching food anymore. Your brother had me first... Then some other, less gentlemanly men, did.”
Aemond scoffed. “Aegon is no gentleman.” He paused. “I'm sorry that happened to you.”
“It happens to all women. Whether we're in a brothel or in a marriage bed, we're all on our backs for men we didn't choose. At least I chose your brother. That's more than most get.”
Aemond looked down at his shoes.
Fern smiled. “Thank you for telling me, my Prince. I don't want to keep you–”
“Would like to learn?” He asked suddenly. Fern blinked at him. “To read, I mean. Would you like to learn to read?”
“Of course I would but I don't have money for–”
Aemond sighed to himself, biting the inside of his cheek, and pushed inside Aegon's chambers.
Fern stared at him open-mouthed.
“I'll teach you.” He said frustratedly, gesturing for her to sit down.
She closed the door, doing as he bid without any argument.
He sat down stiffly beside her, his whole body rigid like if he touched her they'd both shatter.
Fern crossed her legs and the Prince's eyes widened as he turned his head immediately to look away.
She looked down at herself, blushing when she realised it was her lack of clothes on the bottom half of her body that had scandalised the poor boy.
“Sorry, my Prince. I– usually that's what boys come to me for, not for my sparkling personality.”
He huffed, folding his arms. “I'm just teaching you to read because I have nothing better to be doing.”
She chewed her lower lip. “Of course. Sorry.”

Aegon returned to his room to the beautiful sound of Fern's laughter. It helped raise his spirits after the previous two hours he'd spent with his mother and sister... Or should he refer to Helaena as his betrothed now?
But any joy the sound had brought was squashed the minute he saw Aemond sat beside her.
“What are you two doing?” He asked, his tone a little more accusatory than he'd meant for it to be.
Fern beamed when she noticed him, a sight that softened the blow of seeing her having so much fun with his little brother.
For some reason, he regretted bringing her to the Keep.
She, for the longest time, had been the one thing that was just his.
Only his.
“Prince Aemond was teaching me to read.” Fern said cheerily.
Aemond didn't say a word.
“Was he? That's kind of him.”
“She's quite clever. Though I doubt you noticed.” Aemond said flatly.
Aegon folded his arms over his chest. “No, I hadn't noticed anything past her breasts.” He replied sarcastically.
Fern didn't know who to look at or what to do. With an awkward sigh, she got to her feet.
“Thank you for your kindness, my Prince.” She said to Aemond.
He gave her a small nod, eye fixed on her like there was no one else in all the world.
Her cheeks reddened as she smiled, but she looked away and wandered over to Aegon's side.
The older prince seemed to relax a little when she stood beside him. And he grew ever happier when he looked her up and down and saw her wearing his shirt.
“Keep the books I gave you.” Aemond said. “I've already read them.”
He glanced over at Aegon, who was wrapping his arm around Fern's waist, and shook his head.
The younger boy left, closing the door firmly behind him.
Aegon's lips were on Fern's immediately.
She laughed. “You're eager.”
“I spent today reading about fucking philosophy and listening to Helaena talk about bugs. Of course I'm eager.” He kissed her neck, listening to her small hums. “You should wear my clothes more often.”
“I don't know, I think I may have frightened your little brother.”
“I don't think fear was what Aemond was feeling.” Aegon told her, pulling her down onto his bed with him. She straddled his waist, sitting on top of him.
“He's nice. I like him.”
“Nice? You're sure we're talking about Aemond? Daeron didn't wander in here too did he?”
She laughed again. “No. Just Aemond. I mean, he's a little...”
“Terrifyingly intense? Boring? Horribly rule oriented?”
“I was going to say serious.”
“And you like me for my excellent wit?”
She rolled her eyes. “I like you for your excellent money.”
“Is that so?”
She squealed as he rolled them over, climbing on top of her.
Fern was lying on her front, Aegon behind her. He leaned down to her ear. “Well, I'll have to get my money's worth.”
She grinned, grabbing his hand and pulling it under her shirt.
“Take it.” She whispered, her voice sultry smooth.
Aegon wasted no time.
His trousers were off and he was pushing inside of her, making her whimper sweetly at the feeling.
One hand moved up her chest, across it, and then towards her neck.
He held her throat gently, giving it a slight squeeze as he thrust into her again.
Fern held the bed post for dear life.
“Harder.” She moaned. So his next thrust was.
It made her whine, her hips rolling against his.
Aegon reached down with the hand that wasn't on her throat, using it to toy with her most sensitive part as he pushed into her again and again.
She was moaning, his white shirt sticking to her sweat-slick skin.
In the room next to them, Aegon knew that Aemond could hear every vivid detail of what they were doing.
“Aegon!” She called out over and over like some holy prayer.
He bit his tongue to keep himself from saying anything stupid again but as her walls clenched around him, he released a moan.
“Gods, don't stop.” Fern breathed out.
He grabbed a handful of her hair and pushed her down onto the bed.
It made her moan more as he pounded into her.
She gripped the bedsheets, tugging at them like her life depended on it, until she was a mess underneath him.
Her whole body went limp as she finished.
But the prince kept going. Kept slamming into her.
Kept running his hands along every perfect curve of her body.
Until finally he pulled out and finished, collapsing next to her with heavy breaths.
Fern beamed at him, kissing him gently as he lay down next to her.
She softly brushed silver hair from his face.
Wordlessly, she sat up and kicked one leg over him until she was straddling him again.
Aegon held her hips as he looked up at her.
“I lied, you know.” Fern said.
“About what?” He asked, sitting up.
She rested her head in the crook of his neck as she played with his hair. “I like more than your money.”
“Really?” He frowned, not seeming convinced.
“I like you.” She said.
Aegon stared at her with big doe-like eyes. His lips parted.
Clearing his throat, forcing himself to laugh, he looked away. “Don't start getting sentimental.”
“Never! Of course not.”
“Good.”
“Good.”
Neither of them were looking at each other anymore.
Fern bit at her lip while Aegon stared at his drinks cabinet.
He was just about to move her off of him and grab himself a drink when she pushed him down onto the bed.
“My turn now.” She said.
“For what?”
She leaned down, kissing and sucking at the skin of his neck.
Her hand kept creeping lower.
Lower still.
Aegon let out a soft, low, sound that made her grin again.
As promised in the hours before, neither one of them got any sleep that night.