II

"My soul is breaking, and my life has been cut short. I'm not going to cause any more trouble, and I'm not going to ask for anything... please... let me leave this place."

Those words continued to echo inside Deruth's head. He dismissed his son, thinking that it was just one of his whims.

But...

Cale's mouth was stained with blood. He requested the healer and was taken aback by the report he brought him.

A divine curse.

Cale was under a terrible curse imposed by a god. He didn't know which god it was, but the mages and priests who looked at Cale after the Healer all confirmed that he was cursed.

He might have been a bad father. That was something he had to accept.

Because after the one he loved died, her son remained as a painful reminder of her. Just looking at Cale made him sad...

That's why... they fell apart.

Cale was not the type of child who could express affection as the firstborn, even with empty words.

He used to smile brightly at him, but his son soon became estranged from the rest of the world. Worse, he turned to alcoholism as a means of escaping the pain.

He didn't think it mattered. So long as he's safe and healthy. To begin with, a noble house is not supposed to be affectionate.

But when he discovered he was sick and suffering from this terrible curse, he couldn't turn a blind eye. He couldn't stay away from the child of the woman he adored the most.

He pathetically shut down his own son and threw him away to survive for himself, not knowing that he was dying.

It would be fine if all he wanted was freedom. He could listen to all of her requests while still allowing him to live comfortably.

But Cale, the Child, wanted to leave.

In the end...

"I couldn't call him and give him permission."

He is only eighteen years old.

But he only has two to five years left, and if a miracle occurs, he may live until the age of twenty-five.

Cale may have realized what he truly desired in life after enduring excruciating pain.

"Cale wished to leave."

A child of only twenty years old speaks of death with a face that says nothing is wrong and a smile that could put anyone at ease.

He only wanted to leave.

He slammed his hand on the table and brushed his hair harshly. A terrible pain called to him once more.

It's as if this place was a painful palace for him.

Perhaps the strong child he imagined himself to be was simply a child who couldn't express his feelings.

That he was simply a child who had drowned in loneliness.

"Damn it," he cursed. Cale couldn't ignore it even if he left right away. Cale had no one to protect him. He is referred to as the trash or the prodigal son. No one will protect him if it is not him.

To protect him, he must prepare everything he needs and ensure that he can live his life the way he wants, not the way the world wants.

After being confronted with this situation, he is preparing all sorts of things for someone he has only embraced once.

"If... I let him leave here with only the memories of being abandoned..."

He'll never be able to forgive himself.

He finally signed the papers containing the villa to which he would send Cale. He had everything and anything ready in case Cale needed more. He even went so far as to decide to have the greeted healer in Henituse County accompany him, as well as a knight in whom he could put his trust.

Yet...

The devastating moment arrived for him.

Ron approached him and informed him that Cale had left. Cale would never leave the county without saying something. He would always ask Hilsman for permission before leaving, but Cale left without anyone knowing.

He looked around Cale's empty room. His wine collection was untouched. Everything inside the room appeared to be abandoned. A few simple clothes were missing. Only silver and bronze were missing from the bank notes and gold coins.

He looked down at the bed and noticed a note on it.

When he opened it, he was greeted by Cale's lovely handwriting.

"Dad, I'm sorry if I left without notice. I'd been thinking about it, and I knew you'd never give me permission, but... I have to go... I want to find my own way. Thank you for everything, and I'm sorry for everything as well. but..."

With tears streaming down his cheeks, he read the letter.

"I want to find my peace and happiness, but I know it will never be in there, so please..."

Cale left a simple letter. Cale was aware and did not wait for him to say anything.

"Please be happy, Dad, with love from your son, Cale"

Melancholy is the happiness of being sad.

He is weakening. He sat at the edge of the bed, still stunned by what had just occurred.

Cale. His Cale had left.

"My Lord..."

"Order the knights and bring my son back!" he said to Ron.

I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, Cale.

Only when you finally abandoned me, this place—did I realize how much I had hurt you.

He is not going to beg forgiveness. He's not going to ask for it. Anything he says to Cale will be nothing more than excuses.

It was the day that Weston City was turned upside down.

And how Count Henituse gradually fell apart.

TBC