24. A PIECE OF TRUTH

On my today's to-do list, I had to accompany Sean to Dad's book club. It was a regular gathering held in a local coffee shop where people with literary taste gathered at night and discussed different books. I had been there with Dad once or twice but I didn't enjoy the company particularly so stopped going.

Thomas parked the car behind the cafe and Sean and I made our way inside. He was avoiding looking towards me like a plague since last night. Most of the last night's shenanigans were hazy in my mind due to the alcohol but one particular image was crystal clear; Sean and I, clinging to each other and sucking the soul out of each other.

I might have considered that a figment of my imagination but the red mark on my jaw told otherwise. It looked like someone had sucked this place a little too hard. Just the thought of that sent shivers down my spine and made me dizzy.

After the initial nausea had settled, I blocked that memory to the farthest corners of my mind and vowed to never think of it again. I don't know if Sean remembered anything but even if he did, his emotionless face didn't show any sign of it.

As we entered the cafe, a group of middle aged men and women were huddled in a corner, analyzing a murder mystery novel.

"That man, the one in red." I pointed at the man who was sitting at the far right. "His name is Lance and he is Dad's colleague at school. He has been to our house a couple of times."

"Let's start with him." Sean and I sat down on a sofa and waited for the man to distance from the group. While waiting for that, I ordered a cup of coffee for myself.

Sean did anything in his power to avoid looking at me. His body language was awkward and nervous, which indicated he remembered the kiss too.

The thing that confused me was that I have seen Sean casually drinking much more than he did last night. I am a lightweight, always have been. But how come he lost control too? And kissed me, of all the people he could have kissed?

I was busy in those thoughts when my phone rang and Jason's name appeared on the mobile screen. The phone was lying on the table so Sean also saw it and his jaw tightened in response.

"I didn't know you were in touch with Jason." He asked, finally breaking the vow of not looking at me.

"We are close. He is a nice guy." I replied nervously.

"How close?" He lifted his eyebrow.

Ever since I got my phone back, I had been in contact with Jason on daily basis. I liked talking to him as he was the only person who was nice to me when I was locked in the Miller mansion. It was just light-hearted conversation, nothing serious or worth mentioning.

I tucked a free lock of hair behind my ears. "We are friends. We often chat." Judging by his expression, it won't remain like that for much longer. "Don't ruin it, please."

"What? Why would I ruin your friendship with someone who works for me? What role do I play in that?" He said sarcastically.

"Oh come on, he is just your chef, not one of your mob." I replied. "Don't say anything to him."

"Sure." He said unconvincingly.

"Mr. Miller!" I groaned. "Please. Promise me."

"Why should I?" He asked.

"I'm serious. Promise me you won't ruin this thing with Jason." I glared.

He clenched his jaw, figuring out his response to my request. The inner turmoil was clear on his face. On one hand, it was his need to control everything and on the other hand, he knew he couldn't mess up this dynamic between us. We had only recently figured how to co-exist and going against me would ruin that altogether.