25. - The Fort Captain's Daughter

"Coward!" Cesaria cursed, as she landed a slap on Fanda's cheek. "In battle, you're supposed to follow orders, peasant! How do you suppose tactics work, huh? By everyone doing whatever they want?"

Fanda turned back to her, holding his cheek. His expression resembled Horden's calm serious demeanor as he spoke. "I frankly do not care how battletactics work under your command, lady. This was no battle. This was an escape plan."

"I do not escape when I fight!" Cesaria continued. "I came here to rid this land of the monsters that were assaulting locals! And you jeopardized my plan!"

"And you jeopardized my plan to rescue those locals you were sent here to protect, lady! I am not your footsoldier. Get some things straight!"

Cesaria crossed her arms on her chest and turned her back to Fanda. She was obviously not used to people talking back to her. Relieved that this uncomfortable chat was over, Fanda turned to the women they had saved. One of them seemed to be taking charge and comforting the others. Judging by her robes, she seemed to be a part of some religious order.

"Where did you all come from?" Fanda asked, kneeling beside them.

"They caught me on the road," said a young woman with fair hair. "I was traveling west with a wagon carrying goods and we were ambushed. I think the others made it out, they stopped attacking as soon as they got me."

"These other women are just simple farmers," the woman in the robes added. "And I come from the monastery of Brukeln, just to the north from here. I went to town to do shopping and these monsters caught me on my way."

"So they were only after stray girls. Any idea what they wanted with you?" Fanda posed a still unanswered question.

The women looked at each other and kept silent.

"They are monsters from out of the realm," Cesaria spoke, her back still turned to the group. "What motivation do you expect them to have?"

Fanda curled his lips. "More likely we just don't understand them," he said.

Cesaria sighed and walked over to the group. She stood over Fanda, her eyes full of flame. She raised her hand towards him.

"All in all, you are really swift with that funny sword of yours. I would welcome you in the fort, if you'd accept my invitation. Swordsmen like you are hard to find."

The group traveled north to a fishing town Křišťál, named after the crystal lake that stood next to it. There Cesaria was supposed to meet up with the backup group of soldiers sent from fort Brňobor. They gathered supplies and the rescued women were taken by the woman in robes to the monastery of Brukeln atop a lonely hill above the town, to recuperate.

Fanda joined the group of soldiers led by Cesaria and was given a horse that remained after Cesaria's dead compatriot. As he learned, Cesaria went on a scouting mission with two other soldiers, before the planned open assault on the hideout of the monsters. But the scouting did not go as planned and she was captured, her companions killed.

Together with the soldiers, Cesaria nad Fanda returned to the caves behind the waterfall, but found out that the monsters had already left. Their leader killed, the whole nest of them cleared out, perhaps looking for a new leader. They looked for tracks some ways down the river, but soon gave up and the whole group turned back towards the Humny hills and fort Brňobor.

"So... Where did you come from?" Cesaria asked, watching Fanda struggling with his horse. "What are you? You look like a villager."

"It's uh... hard to explain," Fanda tried to avoid answering straight. "You see, I uh... met this stranger. He was from a far off land. He showed me many things. Trained my mind."