sound of music (e)

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal." ——
Richard Puz
————————————————————

Chapter 78
<—————————————>

Maggie

Luke passed a sweet smile my way as he handed my frozen yogurt over. "Your toppings made me sick as shit, but you looked cute saying them, so I won't shit talk you this time."

At my laugh, he chuckled and took a seat in front of me, scooting close enough to be in reaching distance. In his hands were his own cup of frozen yogurt, but it was nearly finished, already.

Smiling, I leaned over and kissed his cheek until it lifted. "Thank you." Before I got too far, he returned the kiss to my lips in a peck. "You know it wasn't a problem, Norris."

I stirred some of the toppings around with my spoon to allow me a minute. My hunger had been delayed as of late, but it was starting to come back.

Luke and I had been out of town for a week. We decided to extend our days at the hotel, something I appreciated, heavily. It was a big help. Half of the time was spent in the hotel room, grieving, and the other half was doing things to help that grieving a bit.

I couldn't say that I felt perfect, but my mind had definitely cleared enough to be sustainable. The grey clouds had given me just enough light to find passage back to a good, light headspace.

Since my dad had been in town, Luke had hired someone to check for his whereabouts. That was the main problem, though. My father wasn't going to stay in one place for too long.

They hadn't found him ever since his appearance at the funeral. It worsened my nerves, considering how physically close he had been to everyone I cared about. I tried not to freak too much, considering my state of mind already, but it was still troubling.

I hadn't spoken much to anyone else, but I made sure to check on Jax. I needed to have that moment to myself, but I knew that I wasn't grieving on my own. She was just as much his grandmother as she was mine.

Kade and Levi had left Luke several messages once the girls started to worry. He called, and reassured Kimberly and Raven that I was fine, and would be back soon. Luke had them take Fang to the kennel during our week away. We had gotten back into town yesterday, but wouldn't be picking him up until later.

The warmth of a familiar hand trailed up through mine. When I looked up, Luke's eyes were on mine.

"Hey, brat," he smiled, softly. I returned it, lowering my spoon back into the cup. "Hey, prick."

Softly laughing, he squeezed my hand. "How are you feeling, beautiful?"

My heart softened at his concern, as it had done everytime. "I'm okay, I promise." I had never expected the statement to be true, but for right now, it truly was. My eyes lowered to my cup with a silly smile. "The yogurt and your rude ass critique about my toppings definitely helped some, too."