𝓢𝓔𝓡𝓘𝓔𝓢 𝓞𝓝𝓔 ❣︎ 27

The school was being evacuated by the time Ember got there; Bianca, Kent and Davina must've used their siren songs to do it so fast.

But Ember had no intention of staying away. Oh no. She was going to beat Crackstone.

It seemed as though the prophecy was being set up for her; Crackstone had already set fire to the quad with his scepter.

But before she could fight him, she needed a weapon. And she knew just where to find it.

The sabre her uncle had used to defend himself against Garrett Gates all those years ago was still on display on the first floor of Nevermore. No class case or anything. So, climbing the stairs urgently, Ember seized the long sword from its holders and held it up, staring at it in wonder.

Then she rushed down the stairs to the burning quad. She had been thinking about when this moment would come from the moment Rowan had shown her this. But not always in the good way.

Anyway, she entered the quad just as Kent and Davina got blasted back into the wall by Crackstone's scepter. The pilgrim was on his own in the middle of the burning quad, Laurel Gates no longer with him.

"Howdy, pilgrim," she said, smirking slighty, raising the sword as Crackstone turned, his big cloak billowing.

"How canst thou heart still beat?" Crackstone asked, his eyes wide and mouth gasping. "What demon sorcery is this-?"

"STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM HER!"

The last time Ember had seen Xavier Thorpe he had been wishing her death, and here he was, saving her life.

Yes, Xavier was standing there, at the edge of the quad, a bow and arrow in hand. He stayed still for a moment, Ember turning with a surprised expression on her face. Then he shot.

And it went straight at Crackstone-

But the pilgrim wasn't out of the race yet.

It was as if Ember was watching in slow motion. She saw Xavier shoot the arrow to try and protect her, and then she saw Crackstone, stopping it in its tracks. He had a palm up, and was holding it steady.

Well, before he turned the arrow around, his fingers following each other round in a circular motion until the arrow, which had been inches from his face, was now turned back towards Xavier.

And in that moment, as Ember looked at A
Xavier and back to Crackstone, who released the arrow, she knew what she had to do.

She stepped in its path.

"Argh!" She shouted, feeling a considerable pain and crying out as it pierced just slightly in from her shoulder. She fell to the ground and rolled in two full circles until she came to a stop on her back, clutching the arrow in her shoulder.

"NO! EMBER!" She heard Xavier shout, and she saw him run to her, kneeling down beside her. She was convulsing on the ground, rolling about as she held the arrow. 

"Ember, listen-" Xavier said, as he reached her.

"I'm fine, Xavier!" Ember shouted.

"I'm sorry-"

"You need to-"

"No, listen, I-"

"Xavier!" Ember cried sharply, making the boy stop and look at her. "You need to go, get them out of here!" She added, seeing Kent, Davina and a few others running the perimeter of the quad.

Xavier rested a hand on her shoulder, opening his mouth to speak. Ember, however, shouted. "Now!"

He snapped back together. "Okay!" He shouted, jumping up and running to the others at the edge.