52

"You've ruined me," I murmured, my voice thick with sleep as I moved my chest away from Tyler so I could stretch my arms, making sure to keep our legs intertwined.

            He cracked a single eye open. His voice, slightly dazed after just waking up, held a hint of anxiety when he replied, "What do you mean?"

            "I used to hate cuddling," I explained, leaning back into him until my nose was buried in his chest. "Now look at me."

            He let out an annoyed breath. "Why would you phrase it like that? You've ruined me," he mimicked my voice and I couldn't help but smile.

            "You have!" I teased with a giggle, snuggling deeper into him.

            His hand found my chin and he pulled my face from him, tilting it up so we were looking at each other. His hazel eyes, glinting in the late morning light, danced a little as he challenged me, "Did I really?"

            Breathless, I practically whispered, "No. Quite the opposite."

            I watched his lips tilt into a smile before I felt it, his grin pressing against my own.

            I tried to deepen the kiss, my tongue running across his bottom lip tauntingly. He let out a groan, but refused entrance. His lips closed as tightly as his hands on my waist and chin. He was holding back.

            "Al," he muttered against my lips before pulling away. Both of his hands moved to my cheeks, holding my head in place to keep me from leaning forward to capture his lips again. I saw the look in his eyes. The same concern I saw in him last night.

            I pulled my head back, breaking the contact as his hands could no longer reach my face.

            "Last night—"

            "No," I cut him off. "I don't want to talk about it anymore, Tyler."

            "I know that," he replied sternly. "I just wanted to say..."

            He let out a heavy breath, running a hand through his hair and his voice softened. "I wish you didn't have to go through that alone."

            He scooted closer to me, his hands finding my cheeks again. I didn't pull away this time.

            "I'm just so fucking lucky to even know you. I hope you know that. I hope you never forget that." He leaned in, placing a soft kiss on the corner of my mouth. It was comforting and caring and the gesture had moisture pricking at the corners of my eyes.

            "Sometimes," I whispered as he rested his forehead against mine. "I wish I had met you sooner."

            For a moment, he was silent. Still. Then, his thumb brushed back and forth against my cheek. "Sometimes I do too. But then other times, I think you came into my life at exactly the right time."

~ ~ ~

            "Yo, Al!" A voice called out as I weaved through the school parking lot, ready to get to Tyler and go the fuck home.

            Only two and a half months left in this hell hole called high school.

            My eyes followed the direction of the voice to find Sean at his car, standing with Chad and Brian. I smiled at them and redirected my path towards the boys. "What's up?"

            "Drinks," Sean said, leaning against his car and crossing his arms smugly. "My place. Saturday night."

            "It's Brian's birthday," Chad added.