Four: Back In Town

If you had told me that a herd of cows was going to start falling from the sky, I would have more easily believed that than the reality of Eddie Carson standing in front of me.

All I could do was stare. In astonishment or horror, I didn't know.

I understood, then, what people meant when they said, you look like you've seen a ghost. Because that was what it felt like, looking at Eddie.

Fanny put an understanding hand on my shoulder. "Eddie just got in from New York."

"But why is he here?" I asked, talking to Fanny but staring at Eddie. He certainly looked like he was from New York. His clothes were much too fancy for Ida Creek.

"You didn't tell her?" Eddie asked.

"You barely gave any notice," Fanny defended.

Eddie had the nerve to give me an apologetic look and shrugged his shoulders. "Can't a guy visit home every once in a while?"

"Some can," I replied, knowing that this particular guy never had.

Blevin laughed to try to ease the tension. "How long's it been since you two seen each other, anyway?"

Fanny sighed deeply. "Blevin..."

"Seven years, four months, and thirteen days," I answered before Eddie could.

He broke my gaze and looked down.

Fanny tugged on my arm. "Come on, let's go get supper together before everyone else gets here."

I followed her back inside gladly and watched numbly as Mama greeted Fanny.

The last time I'd seen Eddie was at the funerals. When he'd taken what was left of my broken heart and made sure it was shattered all the way through.

"Eddie's here," Fanny informed Mama.

Mama's face fell and both mothers looked at me.

"I shouldn't have been so rude," I admitted, but I wasn't sorry.

Fanny said, "I should've rung up your mother to tell her to tell you, but I got tied up with the pies. I know it must be hard seeing him again after..." She bit her cheek. "After what happened between you two. And I tell you, I was just as mad at him when it happened! But he's grown up now, Viv. Maybe you can give him a second chance?"

I crossed my arms, wanting nothing more than to change the subject. "You have to admit his sudden appearance is rather odd."

Fanny shrugged helplessly. "He says he was just feeling homesick and wanted to visit."

I lifted an eyebrow. Mama and Fanny both returned a look that said, we don't believe it either.

Eddie was the reason the Carsons traveled so much, always going up to see him in New York because, up until now, he'd refused to visit Ida Creek.

"Let's just get this meal out on the table, shall we?' Mama suggested.

Thank you, I mouthed to her.

Abe and Mabel showed up next and soon everyone was balancing paper plates on their laps as they sat around a roaring fire.

The men always got too overambitious when it came to fire, so we had to wait until the flames died down a little before we could sit down and eat.

The chatter was lively–talking about the Yankees, the outrageous price of gasoline, etc.

Usually, I felt safe in this circle. Like a normal functioning person in society.