Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Drastia snarled and lunged for me. I didn't move, intending to protect Teslius. Drastia slammed into me and sent us flying through the air to slam into one of the few walls left standing, causing it to shudder and crumble on top of us.

Drastia darted out to run, but I slashed at her back and shrieked, whirling around to slash her claws at me, but I ducked and rolled out of the way, glancing over to where Teslius was to make sure he was safe before I whirled back to Drastia, who tackled me to the ground and leapt off me to go after Teslius, but I slashed the backs of her knees, causing her to screech and go down, tumbling headfirst over a pile of stone and plaster.

I shot to my feet and slashed at her again, but she ducked and flung her hand out at me, sending a gold bolt smashing into the sword and while it remained undamaged, it flew from my hand and stuck into a nearby wall. I cursed, whirling around as Drastia scrambled with bloody legs to get to Teslius, holding her hand out with the intention to blast him when another blast shot out and slammed into Drastia, sending her smashing into another pile of rock.

I turned to see Ares standing nearby, breathing hard with blood running from his temple. His sunglasses were pushed up on his head, his dark hair matted to his forehead near the bloody cut and his leather pants were torn.

"Ares," I exclaimed, moving toward him and he gave me a two-fingered salute, "I need to drag Drastia's soul out to destroy her, but I can't do that with Teslius here. Take him to Hannibal and Arikos in the dining room across the hall." Ares gave me a nod and moved for Teslius just as Drastia was dragging herself out of a pile of rubble. She shrieked as she spotted Ares going after her prey, and I flung my hand out at the same time Ares did, sending two god bolts plowing into her and smashing her into the rubble.

Ares scooped Teslius up over his shoulder as if he weighed nothing and vanished on the spot as Drastia shot back to her feet and a pulse through the air indicated she was planning to follow him, but I threw a wave of blue shield at her, slamming into her and sending her careening into another wall that broke under her weight.

I flashed over to her and held my hand back, gathering up the power of the disdora ability in the palm of my hand. Drastia flipped to her feet and lunged for me, sinking her fangs down into my shoulder. I snarled and grabbed hold of her, twisting her body away from me and slamming my palm into her back.

She screeched, making my ears ring beneath a layer of muffled sound as I forced the disdora through her and a second later, the black orb sparking with red electricity to indicate Drastia's soul was in the palm of my hand. Sweat poured down the sides of my face as Kali's body slumped to the ground and she fell on her face, dead.

A small twinge of pain went through me, but hearing her words about Teslius only hardened me as I turned away and looked down at Drastia's soul writhing and thrashing in my hand, a tiny scream echoing from within.

I slammed my fist around it, hissing as it burned my palm. Scorch marks leapt up around my blistered skin as I squeezed as hard as I could, the scream ringing out louder and louder, until there was a crack, followed by a crunching sound and I opened my palm to allow the dust to pour past my hand. I shook my hand out, blinking in relief.

Christ, it actually worked.

Relieved, I turned tail and ran for the dining room where Ares had laid Teslius on what was left of a table while Arikos leaned against the wall by Hannibal, who must have passed out because he was slumped with his face against Arikos's leg.

"Where's everyone else?" I asked, looking at Ares, who snorted as he removed his sunglasses to rake a hand through his dark hair, shaking out the dust.