Chapter 3: Flying Hearts

Winger  POV

home at the Roost

Kiara nodded, "I'll trust them. Sorry I snapped, I have a rocky history with humans". "I should have asked before I touched your side", said Layla. Kiara blinked in surprise, "No other human would have apologized, maybe you are different". Layla, Summer, and Aggro as well as Burple ushered Kiara inside. "So what happened?", asked Dak. I told Dak and Cutter what happened leaving out the part where Kiara collapsed. Kiara can tell it if she wants to. It's her business not mine. "She's kinda cute, don't you think so Winger", Cutter teased,"It's not every day when you find a hot injured female swiftwing on a beach" "Yeah and brave and independent", listed Dak. "See even if I did like her which I don't, she would leave as soon as she was better". "See you do like her", accused Cutter. "Same way you like Aggro", I shot back. Poor Cutter had liked the young fire fury since they first met and Cutter is too scared to confess his feelings. Cutter hasn't told us about his crush, but it was so obvious that anyone could see it. Wait, did I just admit I liked her?! I had no clue what I was feeling, but soon it would be flying away. I just hope not with my heart.

Kiara POV

In what they call a sleep cave

I slept for most of the day in a dreamless sleep. Layla, the female human and Burple the rockspitter got me some fish while Summer the fastfin and Aggro the fire fury made me a nest. They bandaged my wounds and made sure I was comfortable. These dragons and humans aren't like anything I've ever seen before. It's night now and Aggro is rolling around and whimpering in her sleep. Nightmare. Careful not to disturb anyone, I shuffled over to Aggro and woke her up. The little fire fury looked at me and I recognized the same pain I had, loss. "You were shaking. Are you okay?", I whispered, "If you don't want to talk about it it's fine, but whenever I had a nightmare, my mom would tell me a story. Do you want to hear one?". Aggro looked at me processing this. "Ok", she whispered back. I helped Aggro drag her nest over to mine. We settled down in our nests and I began, "Once upon a time long long ago, before our grandparent's grandparents were born there was a dragon queen. She was one of the few who could turn into any dragon at will. She was powerful and beloved by all. She fell in love with a dragon and had a single egg. The princess. Then one day the royal family was attacked by humans. The queen escaped, but her mate was dead and her daughter was missing. The princess, badly wounded, had fallen into the ocean and washed up on a beach. She was far from home and her mother. A young man found her, he had been raised by dragons before joining the nearby kingdom, and he could understand our tongue. He nursed the princess back to health and the princess would have died without him. When the princess woke up, she was scared, but the young man who was also a prince calmed her down and they became great friends. The princess healed and all too soon it was time for her to go. The two parted and the princess found her mother who was overjoyed. When the poor princess learned about her father, she swore vengeance, not realizing it was the young prince's father who had killed him.". I stopped as Aggro yawned. "What happened next?", she asked sleepily. "You'll find out tomorrow night", I yawned, "Let's sleep now". I stayed up a little more, Aggro was sleeping peacefully. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Winger POV

Sleep cave, night

Kiara just told a story to Aggro. I've never seen that side of her. The soft, caring and sweet side. She wasn't rough, aggressive or defensive, she was the opposite. It was like she had battle armor but she took it off, maybe that sweet side was her real side. My heart started skipping beats and speeding up. I couldn't fall in love even though Kiara had scales like a sunset blue and her eyes, the amazing blue purple like, like, the Sonic deep dweller and our fish thief. It had to be a coincidence. Right?