5. The Past - II

"Don't mock me. When were you going to tell me about all this? Did you even have the intention of ever telling me? If not for today, I would've continued to stay in the dark like the naive little girl you all think I am." My heart was racing, and I couldn't help but tremble the words that came out of my mouth. "You think that you're always right because you're so smart. You, Mrs. Shanburry, everyone. I deserved to know the truth about my family, just the same as you guys. You should have told me."

"Martha, please listen to me. Calm down. Martha! Martha!" Shirley kept calling me, but I couldn't stay there. The anger swelled inside me, and before I could say anything that I would regret, I hurried to one of the rooms on the floor above.

"I'm sorry, Shirley dear. I should not have told her about this so suddenly. She must be so surprised. Poor girl."

"You don't have to apologise, Mrs. Shanburry. You had your reasons. I should've handled the situation better. I'll go check up on her later. She should have calmed down by then. Sorry for the trouble."

"It's fine. She will need some time. Shirley, there's something that I wanted to ask you." Mrs. Shanburry turned serious. "If my intuition is correct and the pot with the threatening letter was sent by the revengeful Lanstars, then I fear that they may come after you girls too. This is the real reason why I called you two here today."

"What do you mean, Mrs. Shanburry? I don't understand."

"The Lanstars might be after something that you have in your possession. Your parents must have kept that thing in your house or somewhere else. It contains all the top-secret information, so it might become a source of danger for you both. I ask that you keep that thing safe and hidden away and stay away from it. I have lived enough, but I cannot help but fear for your safety. If anything were to happen to you two, I would not be able to show my face to your parents in the afterlife."

"Thanks for being worried about us, but it's you who we need to think about the most at this moment. We'll stay safe. The perpetrator has directly threatened you. You need to be extra careful. But don't worry, we won't let anything happen to you. Let us help you, please, in whatever way may be possible. "

"Thanks, dear. And if I may add one more thing, we absolutely cannot inform the police since this involves information about the secret project . If the news were to go out, it would only cause more chaos."

"Yes, I understand. We'll think of something. We'll have to. For now, please rest. You must be tired from today. I'll also go and check up on Martha."

"Yes, thank you, dear."