Chapter 3

Previously

__________

"Why are you still here?" She smiled, seeing that she had complete control over me.

My eyes shifted to the floor, my feet carrying me away before I could even think about what I was doing or where I was even going. Before I reached the lunchroom doors to leave I heard Elliot screaming after me.

"Alexis! Please come back!" He pleaded.

I ignored him and left.

__________

Elliot's POV

I sighed, angrily shoveling my fingers through my hair.

"Baby?" Lila spoke.

I turned from looking at the lunchroom doors to Lila, cringing at the name she called me, "What?" I spat, rolling my eyes.

"Why do you even hang out with her?" Lila asked, a look of disgust on her face, "She's disgusting."

I opened my mouth to protest, but was quickly silenced by Ava.

She returned to my left and snorted out, "Did you see how she ran off?"

Austin leaned back in his chair and chuckled, crossing his arms, "Yeah, she was like a puppy scurrying away."

Lila and Ava both giggled, nodding.

My jaw clenched slightly as I looked over at the lunchroom doors where Alexis ran off, anger rising up my neck.

"I'm gonna head to my next class." I said standing up, snatching my bag off the floor, slinging it around my shoulders.

"Why? Lunch isn't over yet." Austin questioned, raising a suspicious eyebrow at me.

The girls laughter died down as they shared the same expression as Austin.

"I gotta talk to a teacher about some missing assignment," I mumbled, "I'll see you in gym, Austin."

"Ok..." He mumbled and shrugged, rolling his eyes. 

I turned to head out the doors but was stopped when small arms wrapped around my waist.

"Please tell me you're not going after her," Lila whispered in my ear, "When you could be hanging out with me."

She started to slide her hands down my stomach, stopping at my belt loops and giving them a yank. My breath hitched into my throat as my eyes widened slightly. 

I quickly took a step forward, breaking out of her arms, "N-No," I stuttered out, cringing at my voice.

Lila's face filled with disgust as she turned around, abruptly sitting on Austin's lap. Austin's eyes widened in surprise then his lips curled into a smirk. I felt disgusted at my friend's new found enjoyment.

"Well, watch out for the freak." Lila hissed, angrily.

I looked down, my jaw clenching harshly as I stormed out of the lunchroo

---

Alexis POV

I ran into the first bathroom I could find, quickly locking the door behind me. I felt like I was slowly losing my breath as my feet fell from under me, the floor suddenly being a lot closer than it was before.

I don't know how much longer I can take the name calling and harassments they throw at me, or the sharp knifes that stab my heart every time Elliot looks the other way. I keep telling myself that one day he will speak up for me and that I just have to hold on a little longer, but it's been like this since the start of the year. I don't know whether to keep holding onto the small string that I call our friendship or to just cut it before it tears.

Everyday passes with another obstacle for me to face, each growing more challenging after the next, or are they the same obstacles and I'm just growing weaker? Unable to find the energy to get through them?

I let my head fall into my hands as the hot tears streamed down my face, my sobs vibrating through them. My heart was heavily pushing against my chest as I leaned forward, threatening to fall out with each sob.

---

I was in my last class of the day, Anatomy, Elliot sitting only a few chairs behind me. After my breakdown in the restroom, the bell rang and I had to gather up my remaining strength to wipe my tears and head out. 

The rest of the day became a new version of hard for me. It wasn't that my classes were bad, or that anyone gave me any trouble, I just couldn't find the energy to lift my head up. Each class passed in what felt like seconds. I would sit down and stare at my desk, the next thing I knew I was up and walking to the next desk. Silence filled my ears as I blankly stared at the floor, the blurred feet within my vision passing quickly as if everything was sped up, but I was in slow motion. 

Now I was in the same looking desk, in the same old classroom, with the same blurred faces of my classmates around me. My anatomy teacher's voice blurred over as I starred down at my desk, no energy left to spare.

I suddenly was ripped out of my blurred state by a hand on my shoulder. The hand was firm, yet soft. I heard faint voice, slowly becoming clearing and easier to hear as they continued to speak.

I forced myself to look up at the face looking down at mine.

"Miss Baker?" My teacher, Mrs. Carmen, asked, her face showing slight concern. 

"Y-Yes?" I stuttered, my mouth dry.

"I said choose a partner. We are going to dissect a sheep's brain today."

"O-Oh." Was all I could say as I slowly stood up, looking around the room. 

Everyone had already grabbed their partners and materials, crowding around the lab tables filled with papers, tools and trays. My eyes landed on Elliot who was standing by his desk, his hands deeps in his pockets as he looked up at me with pleading eyes.

I sighed as my feet began to drag my body towards him.

"Lexi.." He began but was cut off by the teacher's voice.

"Remember to read the directions on the worksheet, it describes in detail the steps you need to take when dissecting." Mrs. Carmen explained, holding up one of the worksheets.

I took this as an opportunity to escape what Elliot was about to say next, heading over to the lab table where the materials lay, picking up random ones to try to look like I was doing something.

"Alexis, please listen to me." Elliot begged as he appeared next to me, holding one of the worksheets, his eyes burning into the side of my head. 

I looked at his chest, my eyes not daring to meet his, "Get the brain, I'll set up the tray." Was all I said before turning around and walking away.