19 - Cardigan

Upset I walked back to the others again, leaving Newt on his own for a while. He looked like he needed it.

Some last tears trickled down my cheeks, but I hoped I did a good job hiding how much everything that happened hurt me. Not just Newt breaking up with me, but also finding out he had the Flare and even worse, that he didn't mind the fact he had chances of turning crazy or dying.

"Everything alright, mi hija?" Jorge looked up from his paper.

"Fine." I lied, like almost every single time someone asked if I were okay in my life.

"What happened?" He put his paper down and motioned for me to sit on the couch in front of him.

I swallowed. "Nothing much. But Jorge.."

"Yeah, mi hija?"

I smiled lightly at the nickname, but soon my face darkened. "I was wondering if I, uh- if it could be possible that Newt and I don't sleep in the same bed."

"What?" The man tensed up completely. "Did he do something inappropriate?"

"No." I shook my head. "It's just.." I stammered a bit, worried about Jorge's reaction because I knew he was ready to hurt Newt if he wanted to. "We kinda.. broke up."

His face switched to blank. "You or him?"

"Him."

Jorge's expression changed to anger and he roughly got up from his seat. "I told him not to-."

"It's fine," I assured before Jorge would do something. "He had his reasons." I lowered my voice. "And he has the Flare."

Jorge's eyebrows relaxed, but his eyes got hurt. "What?"

"Newt," I said. "He has the Flare."

Jorge buried his face in his hands. "Oh, Dios. Mierda. Él no, verdad?"

I felt sad too, but wondered what the hell Jorge said in Spanish while he shook his head and murmured some more stuff.

"Oh, god. Shit. Not him, right?" Brenda translated, walking into the room.

"Estúpida Flare! Nos queda algún suero de Brenda?" He rubbed his forehead and looked at Brenda.

"No. No conocemos a nadie que pueda hacerlo por nosotros. Mary se ha ido." Brenda replied.

Jorge sighed loudly. "At least your Spanish is getting a bit better." He paused. "We'll go into the city. The serum is there too."

"Alright." I agreed. "I'll take the couch."

"No, you're not, mi hija," Jorge replied. "I'll take it. Switch with Thomas if you're okay with sleeping in the same room as Davian."

"Davian?" Brenda furrowed her eyebrows.

"It's Crassus' name. Crassus is his surname." I explained. "But he told me to call him that."

"Everyone who's under his age calls him that," Jorge added. "So keep doing it, 'cause that guy is strong. Won't wanna get into a fight with him, if I were you."

"You're right, but I'll sleep on the couch, really," I confirmed. It would only get harder for me to escape if Jorge slept in the same room as the front door.

"No." Jorge refused sternly. "You need a good night of sleep."

~

I sneaked out of the room at night, hoping Crassus, who was snoring, wouldn't wake up, but he didn't. Relieved I rushed over to a backpack I had laid down a few hours before. Jorge peacefully slept on the couch, a paper in his hands and his mouth a bit open.