Chapter 38

"Of course, Potter gets picked, I'm not even surprised." Malfoy said, as they walked back to the common room.

"How do you think he did it though?" Blaise asked, then the group all turned to Madeline.

"What?" She said,

"You talk to Potter-"

"Unfortunately," Draco said, cutting off Blaise.

"Anyway, you talk to Potter, has he ever mentioned anything about it?" Blaise asked, she shook her head.

"No. We never talked about the tournament."

"So, what did you talk about then?" Malfoy asked, Madeline shrugged.

"Just stuff, like classes, summer, etc." Madeline said, Malfoy rolled his eyes, as they got to the common room. Daphne muttered the password, and the wall slid open, revealing the common room. They walked in, and Madeline decided to head to bed early, and muttered a goodnight to her friends before heading upstairs.

---

A couple days had passed since the four champions were picked for the tournament. Madeline had rarely seen Harry, as she passed the corner, she spotted him walking by. He stopped and managed a small smile for her.

"Hi, Harry. I haven't seen you since, well since-"

"I got picked for the tournament?" Harry asked, but there was no teasing manner in his voice. 

"Yeah, how have you been?"

"Fine," Harry shrugged.

"I've been wondering, how did you put your name in the goblet?" She asked, noticing Harry take a step closer to her.

"I didn't." He said, she looked at him confused.

"What?"

"Someone else put my name in the goblet." He explained taking another step closer to her. He put a hand on her arm.

"Who put your name in?" She asked, looking at his hand on her arm. She looked back over at Harry, before noticing a small beetle on the floo, suddenly it start flying up an

"I don't know." He said, before putting a hand on her cheek, and smashing his lips on hers. Madeline's eyes widened, putting her hands on his chest, and shoving him away. He staggered back, looking at her confused.

"What are you doing?" She asked,

"Er-kissing you?" He said,

"Did I say you could?" 

"But you didn't say anything last year, and I did the same thing." Harry explained,

"That doesn't matter. I was okay with it, but now I'm not. I don't like you like that Harry." She shrugged,

"And I don't think you like me like that either. You said you would ask me out third year to go to Hogsmeade, and we never did. You didn't write to me all summer, and I've rarely seen you this year."

"What changed? I thought you liked me." Harry said, Madeline bit her bottom lip. Draco flashed through her mind, but she shook it out of her head.

"Nothing, I just don't like you like that anymore." She shrugged,

"I'll see you later, Harry." She said, before walking away.

---

The next day, the boys were already waiting for her at the Slytherin breakfast table. They both glanced at Madeline before shoving a newspaper between them and forced big smiles on their faces.

"Madeline, so wonderful to see you." Blaise said,

"How have you been?" Theo asked, Daphne shook her head at them.

"Fine? I saw you two last night, why are you two acting so wired?" She asked, putting some breakfast on her plate.

"Are we acting wired? We're not acting wired. Your acting wired!" Theo said, Daphne shook her head at them, as Malfoy walked in and sat down next to Madeline.

"What's going on?" He said,

"These two are acting all strange." Madeline said,

"Acting strange! -"

"Shut up!" Daphne shouted, making them both jump in there seats.

"What's going on?" The two boys looked at Daphne, she signed, and nodded, before they handed Madeline the newspaper.

"It's not that big bad, but your mentioned in the newspaper today." Daphne said, pointing to the front page. Madeline scanned the newspaper; it was mainly about the three champions for the tournament but focused on Harry.  Then she got to the part about Harry's love life.

The exceedingly beautiful princess of England, Madeline Ayer, who joined Hogwarts the same year Harry potter had, has had rumors, along with a few kisses apparently, with our fourth champion. According to Colin Creevy, his close friend, they started there friendship the first year, and it has blossomed into something more. Who wouldn't want Harry Potter to end up with a beautiful wealthy princess like Madeline. But she is not the only girl who is in Harry Potter's love life, Colin Creevy says, that Harry is rarely seen out of the company of one Hermione Granger, astunningly pretty Muggle-born girl who, like Harry, is one of the top students inthe school.

Madeline couldn't believe what she was reading, she looked over at the Gryffindor table, where she saw Harry staring at her, he shook his head in apology, but that wasn't enough for Madeline. 

"I can't believe this." Madeline said, Malfoy grabbed the paper from her hand, and started reading the newspaper.

"It's okay, it's not that bad." Daphne tried, rubbing Madeline's back in comfort.

"But none of it is true!"

"Exceedingly beautiful? Her?" They heard Pansy Parkinson's obnoxious voice say from down the table say.

"I mean look at her, I'm surprised she's even a princess, I thought princesses we're supposed to be pretty. She looks like a bug." Pansy said, glancing over at Madeline.

"Well, she's prettier than you, Parkinson. You look like a toad." Draco said, Ayer looked at him, her eyes wide. Pansy stared at him, a vein popping out of her forehead, her face flushed.

"I mean...you are pretty, Madeline, the newspaper didn't lie about that." Draco whispered, avoiding Madeline's eye, staring down at his breakfast plate.

"Th-thank you, Malfoy." Madeline said, trying to fight off the blush.

"I think someone needs to pinch me because Draco just called Madeline pretty." Theo whispered, there was a loud thump, and Theo gripped his leg.

"OW!" 

"You idiot." Daphne muttered,

"You're the one who kicked me." He muttered, rubbing his bruised leg.