The Stranger with Blue Eyes

Hundreds of years ago... 

I wander into the corridor rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

Why is everyone shouting?

The halls of the Ziggurat of the Sun are deserted, but I can hear the pounding of dozens of footfalls. As my ears swivel toward the sound, my sister Tabina rushes by, skidding to a halt when she sees me. She's dressed for battle with a shimmering blade in hand.

"Ashul, go back to bed. This is no place for a cub," she scolds me.

I clutch my feather-stuffed firebird tighter. "What's going on, Tabi?"

Tabina is my favorite of all my many older sisters. In fact, I suspect she may be the only one who doesn't despise me.

Her face softens as she kneels before me. "There is nothing to fear, little brother. The Unwelcomed One will not make it out alive."

After Tabina departs, I take the longest path back to my room. The sounds of shouting getting ever quieter with each step.

I like this route, it takes me past the lavafall and the—

There's a man with wings that are not like ours at all. He's standing before the lavafall illuminated by its volcanic glow.

I take a step back from him even though Father would be disappointed by my cowardice.

"What are you?" I ask timidly, clutching my cloth bird tighter to my chest. He doesn't have ears. Or a tail.

The Stranger turns at my question.

I nearly drop my stuffed bird. So pretty...

"Oh? And what have we here?" he questions.

"I am Ashul Ayazan and I will be the Sul Imperium of the World Below just like my father," I state fiercely as I dare.

The Stranger's startling blue eyes widen before his lips spread into a smile. "Will you now."

"I will. I am the son of He Who Walks Among the Clouds."

The Stranger crouches down before me. "So it's your heart's desire to sit upon the Throne Imperium and have your own pride of pretty lionesses, is it?"

"Oh...well..."

Are they pretty?

The Stranger's smile broadens. "You know, Ashul, if you help me find a way out of here I'll grant you a boon."

My brow furrows. "What's a boon?"

"A gift. So do you know the way out?"

I don't really mean to, but my gaze shifts nervously toward the passage I was told never to take.

The Stranger with blue eyes stands. "Thank you, Ashul. You've been most helpful."

As The Stranger starts to move swiftly toward the forbidden passage, my right-hand starts to burn.

* * *

Hundreds of years later...

Meet me in the Noxtide Market, he says. As if this place isn't massive, I grumble to myself as I march swiftly through the evening market of illicit goods in search of Night.

"Hello, Ashul Ayazan," a voice purrs.

My blood goes cold as a forgotten hearth as I turn toward it.

It's The Stranger with the beautiful eyes. The same brilliant indigo blue as Night's.

I swallow hard. "You're mistaken, my name is Ash."

"You may have fallen to the World Below like a star from the heavens, but you are a Child of the Sun nonetheless. And that can never be concealed."

I slide my foot back across the dirt, not in fear, but to ready myself to attack.

"What do you want, Unwelcomed One?"

His lips quirk up slightly. "I believe I promised you a boon."

I stare first at him and then at my hand in confusion. "But I thought—"

"Oh, that? That was not my gift. That was a matter of fate."

Fate?

My gaze swings back to him only to find a small box resting in his outstretched palm.

"This will grant you luck so long as you never open it."

I narrow my eyes at him. "Why should I trust anything you offer?"

His gaze locks on mine. "Because no matter how cruel or kind, true gods do not lie."

I swallow hard. "Alright."

* * *

Months later...

I run my fingers idly over the tiny puzzle box in my pocket as I watch Night talking with the caravan master from our latest assignment. And I have to smile because The Stranger wasn't wrong when he said it would grant me luck. In fact, we've been exceedingly lucky since he placed it into my hand.

"What are you smiling about?" Night asks as he finishes collecting our payment from the caravan master and wanders over.

"Nothing," I lie as I turn away.

I'm smiling at you, you colossal idiot. And you're probably smiling at whoever's going to end up in your bed tonight.

As I start to take a step I feel the tiny box click, and my hand stills.

Oh shit, did I just?

I draw the box up toward the top of my pocket to check just as someone bumps me roughly. Before I can get a hold on it, the box falls from my pocket and tumbles across the sandy dirt to land at Night's feet.

"Hey, Ash, I think you've dropped...something..." he starts to say as he plucks it from the ground, a curious look spreading across his face. The one he gets when he touches objects sometimes.

And then I see him opening it the rest of the way, but I can't seem to make my body move fast enough to stop him.

"No, Night, don't open—!"

Something hits my chest and my hearthstone goes cold and still.

"—it..."

I hit the ground hard and the last thing I see is the brilliant blue sky I used to call home. And then nothing at all.