Chapter 26

Chapter 26: Challenge

I looked around the jail. There was nothing but darkness and silence. It perfectly described how my life used to be. Ang pinagkaiba lang ngayon ay masaya akong narito. My plan worked.

Alam kong walang patutunguhan ang magiging usapan namin ni Lord Wenson. Just as Brienne had warned me, it turned out to be a trap. The agreement proved to be beneficial to no one but Lord Wenson.

My plan was simple— to sit and wait, to watch and see.

If I had done enough, there was no reason for my plan to fail. This would test only one thing— whether I still deserved to return.

Umupo ako sa dulo saka sumandal sa pader. Hindi ko na maramdaman ang pananakit sa akin ng mga kawal. I could have easily fought back to release myself. Alam kong kaya kong makalaya kung gusto ko. But that was not part of the plan.

I heard footsteps approaching. Mabigat at dahan-dahan. Tumayo sa labas ng rehas si Lord Reggar. He stood there without saying a word, but his gaze spoke volumes. Those still yet intense eyes were fixed upon me.

"This place is not bad at all," I said. "Mas mukhang ligtas pa rito kaysa sa maglakad sa labas. You know how much I like being in a quiet place."

"You are an embarrassment to the Cardinals," he stated bluntly.

I wouldn't say I was surprised by what he said. It was more like I was surprised it took him this long to say it finally. I chuckled and just shrugged.

"You are an embarrassment to your father and even more so to your brother. But I wouldn't say I was surprised. I didn't see any potential in you from the very start."

"I see." I sighed. "Mukhang napunan nga ni Lord Wenson ang pagkukulang ko bilang pinuno. I can see that you are happy with how everything turned out."

"Happy?" he laughed, scornfully. "Sa tingin mo ba ay nasa mabuting kalagayan ang pangkat ngayon?"

"No?" I responded, unsure. "But I bet you didn't say a word to Lord Wenson." Tumayo ako at lumapit sa kanya. "All of your disappointments, relentless criticisms, and overwhelming frustrations. It was all reserved for me."

He just stared at me. I tried to play it cool, but as our conversation grew more frustrating, I could feel myself losing my composure. Yet, he remained as stoic as ever, unmoved by my turmoil.

"I've always thought you were like my father—pero hindi pala. My father rarely spoke to me. He hardly ever criticized me. And you—"

"And I tried to eliminate all your doubts about yourself by relentlessly criticizing you, by turning a blind eye to everything you did. Do you know why?" He stepped even closer. "Because I wanted you to learn not to take words to heart. I wanted you to discover your own worth instead of seeking validation from every person you encounter."

"You made me doubt myself—"

"Because you are weak," he said. "It frustrates me greatly, not because you failed to see through me. But because despite everything I did, I still failed."

I chuckled. "If you think so, maybe you also failed to see through me."

I noticed a subtle twitch in his expression. As if that was the most interesting thing he had heard so far.

"I work in silence, Lord Reggar," I said.

Bumalik na ako sa kaninang inuupuan. Sumandal ako sa pader at pinikit ang mga mata. I could still feel him staring at me.

"Nightfall is gone," I heard him say. "It's all because of you. But... I am still watching."

Narinig ko ang mga yabag niya palayo. Nung mawala ang tunog ay nagmulat ako ng mga mata. I suddenly felt heavy in my chest. I cannot fail. I should not fail.