chapter seventeen. heretic

Hope wipes blood off her chin as she tosses an empty blood bag to the side. She sat on the ground, the sun too bright on her eyes.

"Here." Alec hands her another one.

"Where's Clary?" Jace walked up to them, Hope told him it was a mistake to call Jace.

"She's gone, she was taken by an unmarked car." Alec explained as Izzy walked up to them.

"Why didn't you go after it?" Jace scolded. "Because one of them broke Hope's neck, she was dead. She is dead." Alec pointed to the blonde girl on the ground.

"You're a Tribid now?" Izzy helped Hope off the ground, dusting off her black tights.

"No, heretic. I'm one step closer to being the most powerful being in the world. That's great." Hope cleared her throat.

"We have to find Clary, can you track her?" Jace turned to Hope. "All of her stuff has been torched." Alec answers.

"No, you don't talk. Not after you lost her." Jace turns to the dark haired boy.

"Being snotty to each other won't bring my best friends back." Hope pulled the hair tie from her hair, the blonde curls falling over her shoulders as she closes her eyes. It was Clary's hair tie.

The more she tried to search for Clary, the tighter the space in her mind grows until she feels trapped in her head.

"Take it. I can't." Hope handed it to Jace as she turned away from the group, walking to the nearest bush and letting it go.

She threw up blood, her mind rang as Izzy held her hair back while Alec and Jace searched for Clary.

"Are you okay?" Izzy asked as Hope wiped the blood from her mouth. She was still hungry, more hungry after she threw up all her food and blood.

"My body is still processing everything," Izzy rested her hand on Hope's and she shook her head, pulling away.

"Don't touch me right now, all I can smell is your blood." Hope sat down, this was why she didn't want to turn. She was scared she would put the people she loved in danger.

"We can't find her." Alec said as Hope walked towards them, Izzy behind her.

"It was your job to look after them!" Jace scolded, biting back most of his anger. "Maybe your mother was right, and your best isn't good enough." Hope grabbed his hand when he said that.

"Jace!" Izzy shouted.

"Are you so desperate to prove yourself to Hope that you've lost sight of us?" Alec asked and Hope grabbed Jace's face, making him look at her.

"It feels like fireworks are going off in my brain, calm down and act civilised or I'll throw you through a building." She warned. "Your friend is missing and I'm in trouble?" He asked.

"My eighteen year old friend who knew what she was doing when she snuck out of the Institute is missing. She's gone because she chose to follow her own lead, I'm not worried about her." She knew Clary could protect herself and Simon if she needed to.

"I'm worried about the person you'll become trying to find her." She let him go, "Now apologize to Alec." He did and Hope sat back down, her body felt weak. After she bit Alec all her body seemed to crave was blood straight from the veins, more specifically, the blood of a Shadowhunter.

"Whoever took Clary and Simon must be holding them over a body of water." Jace explains when Hope felt her phone ring in her boot. She leaned over and it was an unknown number.

"Guys," she answered and put it on speaker. "Hello." Jace spoke first. "I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm so glad to hear your voice." Simon spoke and relief washed over Hope.

"Si, where are you?" She asked. "I don't know, some Chinese restaurant."

"Wait, werewolves took you, right?" She asked. "Yes, supernatural werewolves took us. I can't believe I just said that." Simon sighed. "I know where you are, sit tight and don't try to fight anyone, okay?"

"Why would I fight anyone?" Simon asked.

"Because I need you to start a fire."

"Again, why?"

"Just do it, I'm coming to get you."

"Hurry." She hung up the phone and got up. "Where is he?" Alec asked as Hope pulled a bottle from Clary's bag. She pulled a blade from her ankle sheath.

"I wouldn't ask if I didn't need it." Jace took the blade from her.

"You shouldn't have drank from me. You should've waited until we broke into the hospital." Alec scolded as Jace dragged the blade across his arm, letting the blood spill into the bottle.

Hope moved back at the sight. "I couldn't help myself, you don't get it." Hope took the bottle from Jace and took a sip, she shut the bottle and put it in Clary's bag.

"Where are we going?" Izzy asked as Hope started walking. "This old werewolf hangout my mom used to go to, the Jade Wolf."

When they turned a corner they found Luke with Clary over his shoulder.

"Alec!" Jace shouted but Hope cringed at the sound and stopped them both.

"He's a friend, toss her over." Luke did and Hope caught her but Jace already punched Luke, knocking him out.

"We'll come back for you, Luke!" Hope called as she tossed Clary over to Alec.

"Put me down!" Clary hit his chest when they were joined by Izzy and Simon.

"Hope!" Simon ran into her arms and Clary hugged her too as she held them close to her. "You came for us." Simon sighed.

"You ever doubt I wouldn't?"

"Truthfully, the fire made me worry." Simon looked between the two girls. "I'll always find you." Hope swore.

"Hate to ruin this reunion but we have to go." Jace spoke up. "Actually, no one move a muscle." Izzy corrected and Hope felt it, someone was staring at her.

"Your mom would be so disappointed! You're fighting on the wrong side!" The pack leader stepped forward, Hope cringed.

"Don't you dare talk about her!" Hope tried to take a step close but Izzy stood in her way before the pack leader turned, growling at them.

"This can't be good." Jace said as they readied their weapons. "We're surrounded, stay close." Alec turned, there were wolves all around them.

"Jace behind you!" Izzy shouted and Hope saw a familiar wolf run to them. "It's just Luke!" She shouted as he attacked the alpha. The two fought until the alpha was dead and Luke came out alive.

"What's happening?" Clary asked. "When the werewolf kills the alpha leader, he becomes the alpha." Jace explained as the other wolves bowed their heads to Luke.

"Alpha leader is redundant statement." Hope said and before Jace could retort, Hope's speed kicked in and she caught Luke before he could fall.

"When did Hope become Usain Bolt?" Simon asked as Hope picked the man up, stared down at the blood on his chest. "He's dying, we need help."