III. Boy Rage

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE.   Trick or Treat, Freak
OCTOBER 31.                                    1984

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"WE HAVE TO RELEASE IT."

Indigo paced her kitchen back and forth. Vinny stood in front of the front door, arms crossed. Claudia sat on her chair, petting Mews as she anxiously looked between them. Indigo was wearing a white t-shirt tucked into a denim skirt, chunky high-heeled black ankle boots, and the oversized leather jacket she had at (almost) all times. Her blond hair was in a ponytail, swinging with her as she paced.

"Can't it wait until after the drama dies down?"

"Indigo, the label decided to release it on Halloween months ago. Tapes were sent out, vinyls are getting delivered. It's too late to change it, even if I wanted to." Vinny reasoned. "And trust me, I do."

Indigo sighed in defeat, leaning onto the counter. She put her face in her hands, scrunching her entire face. Her eyes screwed shut, her jaw clenched, and her cheeks turned red from how tight she was holding everything.

It was Halloween morning. This wouldn't have been a problem, except for the fact Indigo's first single for her third album was coming out, and she had scrapped the entire album after her overdose. But, it was too late. Album or no album, the single was coming out.

The song was Indigo's first real rock song. Sure, she had songs with Lita Ford or Madonna, but this was her first song with electric guitar and solos and vocals that impressed people like Steve Perry. This wasn't pop or some pop-rock blend. This was rock n roll ballad. The song is all about saying fuck you to the world and partying and drug innuendos. AKA; a recovering drug addict's worst nightmare.

Indigo snapped her head up as Red walked in from the bathroom. She walked to the other counter, pressing her hands down firmly.  "Turn on the radio." Red stopped mid-walk, staring at her in confusion. "Turn it on!" Red reached for the radio on the brown shelf, listening to the static tuning into the station.

"After spending the last month on every headline, teen pop sensation Indigo has released a new single to knock our socks off. This is City of Devils."

The entire room was silent as the intro began to play. A guitar solo. Indigo pressed her lips in annoyance as she turned to look at Vinny. He sighed. "Look, I'm sorry, Indigo, but there's nothing we can do now except--"

"Lay our heads low and shut up, I know." Indigo cut in, standing up straight. She rolled her eyes as she walked closer to Vinny. "And we just hope they forget until I release my next song about Jesus and being a good girl, right?"