Chapter Four | Live, Breathe and Become a Fool

Chapter Four | Live, Breathe, and Become a Fool

“This is her house, right?” Preston asked, rolling his Mercedes into her driveway. How’d he know where she lived? Did these two have some sort of relationship that I wasn’t aware of?

          “Well, aren’t you a little stalker?” I asked rhetorically. My hand went to the handle of the car, preparing to leave.

          “You have such high expectations of me,” Preston said, sarcastically as he leaned back on his seat. “That I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I’m not the man you think I am.”

          “Nom you’re exactly the man I think you are and this proofs it.” I gestured to my face, and widened my eyes to emphasis the markings. See? The raccoon mask he drew on me was faded from all the washing I did for a whole fifteen minutes—maybe even more longer since the tips of my fingers had become wrinkly.

          Preston laughed, throwing back his head. There he goes again. That annoying laugh that makes my heart flutters. I could already feel a smile crossing my lips—no hold it back. You are not going to boost Preston’s arrogant mind, Alli. You are not. His laugh is not that contagious.

          I opened the door and made my escape. The breeze of the autumn tickled my nose and a sneeze fled.      

          “Alli!” someone called. That did not sound like Preston…or Chrissie. “She’s your girlfriend, right?” I tensed, forcing my head towards the direction of the voice.

          Damn, it was probably one of the chicks Drew was hooking up with. She was dragging Drew by the arm, her eyes glittering with anger.

          I grimaced, glaring at Drew. I thought the previous chick was the last time I’m going to play his Alibi.  The girl stopped in front of me, one of her hands on her hips. The booze smell stung my nose.  “Were you with him last night?”

          “Yeah…” I trailed off, wary of how to respond. So she wasn’t the chick he hooked up with at the party.

          “Then why’d you get out of another guy’s car?” She pressed her index finger on my chest. “Why are you cheating on him, you cheater?” She wobbled back a bit, Drew helped her catch her balance.

          For some odd reason, I couldn’t look into Drew. Was I feeling guilty? No, how am I guilty? He’s always with another girl.

          Someone cleared their throat. Oh gosh, I forgot about Preston. My face heated up in embarrassment. Out of all people who had to witness this, it had to be him?

          She turned around, pointing her finger at Drew now. “You’re a cheater, too!” she exclaimed. “You both are cheaters! I saw you, Drew Morgan, with Mitchell in front of the drugstore. Kissing.”

          From the corner of my eyes, I saw lights turning on in Chrissie’s house. If she saw this…she’d find out about the deal and—

          “No,” I interjected. “I was with Drew last night, but I got too wasted that Drew left to get me some hangover medication. So I crashed at Preston’s until then,” I did the most well-rehearsed line I had prepared. I looked at Preston. “Right? That’s why I was in your washroom.”

          I looked into Preston’s eyes, pleading him to continue on my lie. His brows shot upward, questioning my intentions, but they quickly disappeared under a smirk.

          “Yeah, she was so wasted, she didn’t even realise me drawing on her face.” He cupped my cheeks and turned my head towards them two. “You have to admit, who can miss this masterpiece. It shows off way better against red, don’t you agree?”