06 || The Darkness Within

As Jade stepped into her house, the warm, golden glow of the living room lamps enveloped her, casting a comfort that seemed to wrap itself around her like a soft, cashmere blanket.

The scent of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air, mingling with the faint hint of vanilla from the candles on the coffee table, creating a sense of tranquility that was both soothing and inviting.

However, the tension in the air was palpable, a heavy, unspoken weight that hung like a dark cloud over the room.

Her father, Jule, was already home, waiting for her, his eyes fixed on her like a hawk watching its prey, his gaze piercing through the dimly lit room.

Jade's eyes widened in surprise, but she quickly composed herself, hiding her emotions behind a mask of calmness.

The creak of the wooden floorboards echoed through the silent room as she walked further inside, trying to appear nonchalant.

Jule's gaze was intense, like a laser beam, and Jade could sense a mix of concern and curiosity in his eyes.

His brow was furrowed in a deep crease, and his lips were pressed together, as if he was trying to hold back a thousand unspoken questions.

Jule asked, his tone laced with a hint of accusation, "I heard that you do not live here anymore. Did you come here to get changed?" The words hung in the air, like a challenge, daring Jade to reveal the truth.

Jade's heart raced as she replied, her voice steady but her hands trembling slightly. "Who says that? I was at Damien's house after university today."

Jule's eyes narrowed.

"Yeah, I did not go to work today, and yesterday I returned from work early. I didn't see you here," The unspoken accusation hung in the air, a challenge to her alibi.

Ludia's accusation had made Jule suspicious, and he couldn't shake the feeling that Jade was hiding something.

Jade had never slept at Damien's house. Yesterday, when Jule had returned from work, he had knocked on her door, but she was fast asleep, oblivious to his presence.

However, Jule's expression was not one of anger, but rather of concern. He simply wanted to keep track of his daughter, to ensure her safety and well-being. His eyes, though narrowed, held a deep love and a desire to protect Jade.

Jade's eyes narrowed and her eyebrows furrowed as she felt the weight of Ludia's accusation, her jaw clenched, and her teeth ground together in annoyance. "I'm going to my room," she said, her shoulders slumped, and her head bowed slightly as she walked upstairs to her room.

As she entered her room, her body tensed up, her muscles coiling like a spring ready to snap. Her fists clenched, and her arms trembled with restrained emotion.

"This b*tch won't stop. She lied again," she cursed under her breath, her voice was low and venomous, lacing with hatred towards Ludia.

She buried her face in the pillow to scream, the softness of the pillow a stark contrast to the turmoil brewing inside her.