Chapter XXVIII

[XXVIII.] Lesson of Sorts

Oberyn struggled to keep quiet as he changed into some light clothes

It came as a big surprise to him when he awoke to see the sun already in the sky. He had been so used to being roused from his sleep before there was even light outside that he had almost forgone his entire routine altogether.

Chalking his deep slumber to the late night he had spent eating sweets with Cassandra, Oberyn shrugged off his sleep and decided to head to the training yard.  

As he finished changing and slipping on his boots, his attention strayed to the woman sleeping in the large four-poster bed. 

They had talked late into the night, even after they had finished the desserts he had brought from the kitchens. When she let out a loud yawn, he had not hesitated to offer her the bed. 

It was customary that they shared a bed but the last thing he wanted was to invade her space. Even when she protested, he knew that she would be much more comfortable having the bed all to herself. 

It was good planning on his part to place a large chaise lounge for him to sleep in while she took the bed. So with a parting 'good night' from opposite sides of the room, they ended the night. 

Not helping himself, Oberyn walked toward the bed. Cassandra lay on her side, her eyes closed while soft snores escaped her lips. He smiled as he reached out to move her hair out of her face and he caught a glimpse of her. 

Though she might not agree with him, he found her hair stunning, doing nothing to hinder her beauty. Long hair or short hair, she embodied charm and elegance with everything she was.

 He knew that he should head to the training yard soon despite everything in him wanting nothing more than to stay and have breakfast with his wife. 

Oberyn pulled the blanket up to her shoulders to keep her warm, ensuring that she was tucked in cozily as he left their shared chambers. 

Whistling a merry tune to himself, he headed straight to the training yard. Through the twists and turns of the hallways, he could almost feel as if someone was following him. 

He had paused in his steps from time to time to turn around only to see nobody. He did not know if he was losing his mind but he swore he could hear soft footsteps mirroring his own. 

Pretending to shrug it off as nothing, he continued on his way though he knew then for sure that he was being followed. It was just a question as to who was trailing after him so early in the morning. 

Once he arrived at the training yard, Oberyn inhaled a breath of fresh air, savoring the openness of his surroundings. The large round targets were already set up for him as were the weapons laid out on the table. 

His eyes scoured over the various weapons presented, choosing the bow and picking out a single arrow. Normally, he would be training with a spear as was his favorite weapon.