9. Burning

(I drew yae and thought I would share. I'm still new to art so don't be too mean.)

"What's burning?" I asked, looking around the large classroom, my nose scrunched in distaste at the smell. It was ugly.

"Kaminari left his ramen in the microwave too long." Jirou laughed, ignoring the glare from the boy. "He somehow managed to add an extra zero to the timer. What a dumbass."

The boy huffed indignantly and sent a glare her way, "Like you haven't done the same before!"

"Burned instant ramen? Nope. I'm not an idiot."

"Come on! It happens to everyone!" he snapped back. I felt a small smile grow on my lips at their arguing. I hated conflict, but for whatever reason it was comforting to hear it now. I could almost forget the smell, and the heat of the room. It was burning. "I mean we all make mistakes!"

'You were a mistake!"

I blinked, looking around rapidly for the source of the voice. I heard it so often, but not here, not outloud.

"Dad?"

"Yae? What's wrong?" I heard Momo ask, she sounded concerned.

'Who would be concerned for a monster like you?'

"Shoto?" I called, standing up, as I realized that all eyes from the students in the classroom were on me. But not in the normal way. They weren't blinking. They weren't even breathing. And there were smiles on their lips, ugly, disgusting, smiles.

"What's-what's going on?"

"Sit down Yae," Momo said, knowing something I didn't. "Class hasn't started yet."

I looked back at her, and slowly obeyed the order. Glancing around the room once again, only to find that the others were talking with one another normally, no smiles or glares to be found. Had I imagined it?

Yes. I had to have.

"Right Yae?" I turned at the sound of Kaminari's voice, seeing that he was wearing a casual expression. He wouldn't smile so carefree if something were wrong.

"What?"

"You agree with me that tea is better than coffee. Jirou's just crazy."

I looked between the two before shaking my head clear, feeling a touch dizzy. "I like coffee more actually."

"Why?" Kaminari asked in disbelief.

"It tastes better."

'Is that really why?'

I felt my blood go cold. That was- but no-no, she couldn't- she wouldn't- she wasn't here. I was imagining things. Yes. That was it.

"You're lying for sure now! It's so bitter, no one could like how it tastes!"

Jirou rolled her eyes and gave me a smirk, "Clearly she just knows better than you. That's how she saved us."

"What do you mean?" I asked, feeling my vision go blurry as murmurs of memories slipped into my head, making the world go sideways.

'Either... Dies... you do.'

I blinked at the unfamiliar voice, feeling a sudden nausea in my stomach. I held my aching ribs and looked at the others, their shapes going in and out of focus. Why was it so hot? I could pass out.

"What's happening?"

"Shh- he's coming," Momo hushed, her voice firm, but scared. She sounded like Fuyumi.

"Who's coming? What's happening?" I hated the fear in my voice. I hated the pounding in my head. I hated how everything felt so loud, and bright.

"The teacher of course! He's very upset!" Jirou scolded.