Chapter 16

I put my bag in the trunk and got inside the car. "I didn't know you could drive," I said.

"No one does, in fact. Except for my parents, of course. This is their car," he explained. "I got my license a week ago and you're the first to know about it."

Warmth spread across my chest. I was the first one to know something as big as that. I kissed him on the cheek.

"What was that for?" he said, grinning.

"I felt like it," I shrugged off the question. "So, where are we going?"

"Do you know the lake?" he looked at me for a couple of seconds before focusing on the road again. "You look gorgeous, as always, by the way."

I couldn't resist a blush. I still wasn't used to random compliments. Then I processed his first sentence. "You mean the lake that's always packed?"

"That one. Well, we are going right in the opposite direction. Oh, don't look at me like that. Of course I wasn't taking you to the lake. That is the complete opposite of romantic."

Romantic. I let that sink in. "How many times have you been there?"

"Lots of them. My parents used to take me almost every weekend. Then, they got tired of sleeping on the floor and now we come less often."

Oh. So it was a special place for him. "I'm sure I'm going to love it," I said.

"Do you want to put on some music?" he asked.

"Thought you'd never ask."

I played one of my favourite songs and Suga immediately recognized it. "I love this song!"

I turned up the volume and we both started singing at the top of our lungs. He couldn't reach the high notes and I couldn't reach the low ones, the result being messy singing and laughing. I loved road trips.

We took turns to play songs, but we tried to look for the ones we both knew. After about two hours of lots of singing, Suga took a turn and stopped the car.

"We're here."

It was almost night. We were in a beautiful clearing surrounded by centenary trees and pretty flowers.

"Whoa," I whispered.

"Glad you like it." Suga opened the trunk and we took out blankets and everything we needed to sleep. I helped him prepare everything and we ate some fruit for dinner.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you" I said, "Kaneko, my friend from the photography club, printed some of my photos."

"Really? Can I see them?" Suga asked.

"Of course." I searched for them in my bag and selected a few.

"Wow, these are so good! You really do have a talent," he said.

I explained my idea in detail and showed him the pictures in order. He seemed to love the project and he looked almost as enthusiastic as me. I was so happy to have him supporting me like that.

"This is one of my favourites," I said, showing him a picture of him laughing at something Asahi had said.

I hadn't meant to photograph him, but I'd seen him like that and my hands had thought faster than my brain. Suga blushed.

"Oh, and this one, of course." I gave him one in which he was setting the ball. "You can't see who was going to spike it, but I remember it was Asahi. You third years make a pretty darn good team."

He took both pictures and looked at them carefully, as if he were searching for things to improve in his posture.

"What? You can compliment me and make me flustered but I can't do the same to you?" I said.

"Can I kiss you?" he said, but this time it didn't catch me off guard.

I pulled him close and kissed him. His soft lips made my mind go blank. There were simply no words to describe it.

We continued talking about my project for a couple of minutes, but we were very tired after a long week of school, so we lay on the floor and covered ourselves in blankets. It was very cold.

That's when it hit me: we were going to sleep next to each other. I mean, I'd known this moment would come, of course, but, to be honest, I'd never given it much thought. Until now.

"Look at the stars," Suga said, making me snap out of my thoughts. "I know you like them, so that afternoon, when you said you wanted to stay with me on the grass, I thought about this place."

We were far from all the houses and that darkness let us see hundreds of stars. It was beautiful.

"Thank you." I intertwined our fingers.

Two minutes later he was out like a light. I could tell because his breathing was deep and slow. Before I could stop myself, I stroked his cheek softly.

I decided to go to sleep. Suddenly, as I was just about to fall asleep, I felt his arm around me. My first reaction was to stay very still, as if I'd feared that, if I moved, he'd take his arm away. Utterly ridiculous. I risked a glance at him. He was still asleep.

Half conscious of what was happening and comforted by his warmth, I fell asleep too. With the stars above me and Suga by my side, I couldn't think of one single thing I'd change.

Hello hello!!! What song were they playing in the car for you? I imagine the scene with The Less I Know The Better by Tame Impala.

Please vote and comment and see you next week :D