Sail Away

"It's six kids," Tito said, standing on the dock with his hands in his pockets. "Six. How much trouble can they be?"

"Yeah," Caylee said, "but we don't outnumber them. Plus Joey's not exactly an adult."

They watched from the dock as Jack, Bailey and Joey supervised the group of teens loading their gear on Jack's sailboat.

"Four boys and two girls," Caylee commented. "Sounds like trouble to me."

Tito laughed. "It would have been for sure if I was one of those teenage boys."

"That's good," Caylee said. "You'll know exactly what to expect from them."

They waved to Maria who was driving the van back to OFC for them, then picked up their own gear and headed onto the boat.

Tito imagined that despite the three meetings they'd had previously with the kids in preparation for the trip - with separate lectures from Jack and Bailey on sailing terms and safety, and a stern one from Tito on expected behavior, everything they'd been told had probably disappeared out of their brains the second they got out of the van, walked down the dock and had their first glimpse of Jack's sailboat. Long, sleek and expensive, he imagined it exceeded anything they had imagined. The 42 foot boat had an "owners cabin" with its own en suite, and two more private cabins. Plus, the main salon could be converted for sleeping. Not that comfortable for adults, but he didn't expect there'd be any complaints from teenage boys, especially with the proximity to the galley for late-night snacks.

The kids were all crowded into the main salon now, sitting on the bench seats, while Jack gave them a final list of rules. Kids ranging from 13 to 17. Joey - who fell right into the middle of that age range - came back in from stowing Tito and Caylee's bags. Lakin, the same age, scooted over a little on the bench and Joey squeezed in beside her.

Jack explained again that they were going to take a leisurely 3-day sail, stopping at various places to relax and swim, before they ended up in Bimini, where they could stay for another 3 days and 2 nights at the beach house he and his partners owned.

His reminder that life vests were to be worn at all times, no exceptions, when the kids were on deck and the boat was in motion was met with a series of moans and protests, particularly from the two girls.

"How am I supposed to get a tan?" Emma looked up, pouting.

"You're not," Jack said. "You'll be wearing sunblock. A lot of sunblock, all of you. And with your red hair and pale skin Emma, you'd just burn."

"Well, I don't have pale skin," Lakin pointed out.

"You might not burn as easy," Caylee said, "but you're still vulnerable to skin cancer. So all of you will be wearing sunblock. You have no idea how easy it is to get burnt when the sun's rays are reflecting off the water all around you."

"Besides," Bailey said, "we will be making stops to swim off the boat. You can take off your life vest then."

"If," Tito added, "you know how to swim. If you don't, it's stays on all the time you are on deck."

"Jeez," Logan complained.

Tito looked him square in the eye. Of the six teens who'd earned this trip, Logan was the one Tito expected would give him the most trouble. The kid had had some pretty serious drug charges pending, and his uncle and his older brother were both doing time for grand theft auto. If he hadn't been accepted to the OFC diversion problem, he'd definitely have been on his way to a juvenile detention facility, likely followed by a life of crime. Or worse, tried as an adult and sent to prison. At 17, Logan had barely qualified for the program. Six months later and he would have been treated as an adult.