13 | A Key to the City

The anthem of Lighthaven booms in my ears and then I hear the Duke greeting the audience.

The duke himself takes the stage, followed by two little boys carrying two keys on a cushion. He presses them both into my hand with a smile, but his eyes, just inches from mine, are as cold as ice.

That's when I know he is not happy about my victory. He sounds wonderful, teasing, joking, gushing over the dexterity of my combat and my tech.

But I know that easy banter is jus' a mask.

The daughter of the Voltas is back to haunt him.

And the Grand Duke Lucius Sextus is not happy about it. Not one bit.

As I stand before the imposing figure of the Duke of Lighthaven, I can't help but feel a mix of excitement and trepidation. The grand hall is adorned with lavish decorations, a testament to the opulence of the feckin aristocracy. The atmosphere crackles with tension, as the duke begrudgingly prepares to present me with the key to the city.

His stern expression betrays his displeasure at my victory in the Gaslight Trials. I can practically taste the bitterness in the air as he reluctantly addresses the crowd, his voice dripping with thinly veiled disdain.

"Ladies and gentlemen," he begins, his tone laced with forced civility, "today we gather to honor our esteemed champion, Veda, who has emerged victorious in the Gaslight Trials."

I can sense the eyes of the crowd upon me, a mixture of admiration and envy. The Duke continues, his voice strained, "In recognition of her accomplishments, it is my duty to bestow upon her the key to our fair city."

As he presents the ornate key, I can't help but feel a surge of pride. This key symbolizes more than just a token of appreciation; it represents my triumph over adversity and the barriers that society has placed upon me. I accept it graciously, my defiant gaze meeting the duke's icy stare for a fleeting moment.

But the duke's begrudging generosity doesn't end there. With a heavy sigh, he gestures towards the side of the hall where an airship stands, gleaming in all its steampunk glory. "And as if one honor wasn't enough," he says, his voice dripping with sarcasm, "I present to you, Veda Igglesden, your very own airship." He makes sure to underline my surname and I almost huff at him before I remember the civil pleasantries.

My heart skips a beat as I gaze upon the magnificent vessel. It's a dream come true, a symbol of freedom and adventure that I've longed for. Yet, the duke's disdainful tone casts a shadow over the moment, reminding me that my success has come at a price.

But I don't give a fuck.

As I step forward to accept the deed to the airship, Baron Secundus steps in.

He clears his throat.

"A word about this technological wonder, if you will, my dear. The airship, christened "Aetheria's Wing," is a marvel of steampunk engineering. Its sleek, elongated frame is crafted from polished brass, adorned with intricate gears and cogs that gleam in the sunlight. The hull is reinforced with reinforced glass windows, allowing for panoramic views of the sky. The main deck is a symphony of polished wood and plush velvet, with comfortable seating areas and ornate brass fixtures. The control room, located at the heart of the airship, is a symphony of levers, dials, and gauges, manned by skilled engineers who ensure a smooth and safe journey. The propulsion system, a combination of steam-powered engines and propellers, provides both power and grace as the airship glides through the clouds. Aetheria's Wing is not just a vessel; it is a work of art, a symbol of adventure, and a gateway to the limitless possibilities of the skies."

And he blathers on, making me roll my eyes. Aetheria's Wing me arse. If this is gonna be my ship, then I'm gonna be bloody naming it, aren't I?

I can't help but feel a surge of defiance. I refuse to let the Duke's bitterness and Baron's empty chatter sway me. This airship represents my independence, my ability to soar above the constraints of societal expectations.