A Surprise Festival

When next I opened my eyes, it was to feel surprisingly refreshed. I hadn't even realized that I felt all that drained in the first place. But I awoke quickly, and not groggy in the slightest, my eyes just snapping open as if I had only blinked. For a split second I actually thought that maybe I hadn't slept at all, till I remembered my strange dream conversation with a god and the fact that the quality of light filtering into the room seemed different.

Then it hit me: I'm the land god...

What the hell! There just had to be some mistake. Who in their right mind would make me in charge of anything, much less a freaking god? Maybe these 'True Gods' Aeros spoke of were not in their right minds. Or maybe they were bored, and thought that making a woman who, till yesterday, couldn't even control her own bowl movements, into a a god was super funny. They must have a really great sense of humor. They made me- a human- the land god to a country of monsters.

I jumped to my feet- still a novelty to be honest- and began to pace in my little room, ringing my hands and trying not to panic. This was all too much! I never asked for this in a literal sense! Watch what you wish for!

"Miss Enna? Are you awake?" Spoke a voice from the other side of my tent flap. I saw a set of reddish paws at the door.

"Ah, yes, sorry."  I said awkwardly. I hurried for the door and pulled it open, stepping out into the hall.

I had not expected to walk out into a little crowd of foxkin. But that is what happened. I was surrounded by about ten of the little fox faced people, among them being Elder Brax and his daughter Brixie. And all of them were looking up at me with open mouths, their round eyes even bigger than I remembered.

"It is true..." Breathed an older foxkin that I did not recognize. He- She?- was about as tall as Brax but had long, grey hair that looked odd with her silver dusted, red fox fur.

"Um, sorry, but why are you all crowded here?" I asked, alarmed. Did something happen while I was asleep?

"It appears that my hunch was correct." Answered Brax, nodding his head while the others gathered began to whisper amongst themselves.

"I'm afraid I have no idea what it is you are talking about?"

"Here." Said Brixie, and she held out what appeared to be a small hand mirror in her equally small paws. Her eyes were wide and kind of awestruck. Did I have drool on my face? Because that would not surprise me at this point.

I took the tiny object from her, and raised it up to my face. There were two things that I noticed at nearly the same time. One: My hair, reflected in the mirror, had turned a creamy white color. And two: the hands clutching the mirror were glowing faintly. Huh?

"You are, our new land god..." Smiled Brax, and he brought his paws together at chest height then bowed slightly to me. Suddenly all the foxkin gathered were doing the same.

"Ah! No, that's not- Ummm." I really wasn't sure what to say. I did know that I wasn't too comfortable with them bowing to me, however.

"I understand you must be confused." Said Brax kindly. "Come, let us all settle in for a chat, shall we?"

Brax got the other foxkin in order pretty quick, and, before I knew it, there was a flurry of activity around me. Brixie took my hand in her paw and pulled me farther down the hall while Brax ordered that tea and a meal be prepared. 

Brixie led me into another room down the hall. It was about the same size as the one I had slept in but was much homier. There was a low, wooden, bed piled with furs, what looked to be a wooden dresser, two chairs, also draped with animal pelts, near a window that was letting in a gentle breeze. On the walls were yet more furs and a few bone ornaments. Against the dresser leaned a bow and quiver of arrows that Brixie scooped up, clicking her tongue in annoyance. "Ozzie is always leaving his things around..." She said.