Chapter 1

Maliah's Perspective

Before school ended, my AP English teacher gave the class a small assignment, one that was merely for fun and to distract us from the lingering boredom and want for school to end. She assigned each person a word, and we had to create a presentation that consisted of the definition, research on the origin of it, and how it could be used or demonstrated in one's life. It should have been a simple project, yet I somehow ended up with the most random word known to mankind.

    Serendipity.

    It was a word that I had never heard nor used. When I began my research, I was stumped. It wasn't that there was no information on it. No. I simply did not understand the word. I read over countless definitions, examples, and sentences containing the word, yet it didn't click. I was unable to understand serendipity and what it truly meant.

In the end, I came to the conclusion that it was simply like luck, something I would never have

In the end, I came to the conclusion that it was simply like luck, something I would never have. Good events that happen thanks to one's luck or fortune. It may have not been the best way to describe it, and my overall project was a mess, but I ended up passing the project and was grateful to be able to stop having to think about serendipity and its complicatedness. However it didn't leave my mind. No matter how hard I tried, the word stuck with me, causing me to wonder more and more about it. It haunted my thoughts, staying with me all throughout the last day of school. All the way until now, the first of summer.

    As summer inched closer and closer, I grew more and more excited. My summers in the past were generally plagued by the presence of my neighbor's grandson, Jackson Cruz, who made it his mission to torture me each summer. I never understood why he enjoyed my misery so much, but it led to a burning feeling of hatred to grow for him. He may only be a year older, and both of us share similar hobbies, but one thing was for sure and that was that we've never been friends.

    This summer was going to be different. Jackson was off in Europe this summer, enjoying his freedom before he begins college in the fall. I wouldn't have to worry about his stupid pranks or rude comments every time I leave the house. His absence will certainly make this summer 100 times better

Also, this summer I'm in a relationship. Trevor Nicholls is every girl's dream guy. He's tall, about 6′1″ with a very lean and muscular build. He's tan, with brunette hair and beautiful green eyes that could make you melt the second they look at you. He's very smart and is going into his second year of college at SDSC, where he is studying economics. He's literally perfect in every way. And he's my boyfriend. I'm in a relationship with the most perfect man. Crazy, right?

To mark the beginning of summer, each year my friends and I head to the beach where we spend hours in the sun, tanning, playing in the water, and knocking a volleyball or soccer ball around. It's a tradition that Jackie, Alyssa, Camila and I have continued ever since we were just itty bitty kindergarteners.

I look at my phone and realize that Jackie will be here any minute to pick me up, and I'm still not dressed. I throw on a swimsuit and grab a towel, along with some sunscreen, snacks, and water. I hear a loud honk and someone yells "Bitch I'm here." Jackie has no filter. I grab my flip-flops and rush out the door, knowing if I take any longer she'll probably ram her car into my garage.

"My mom's home you know," I sigh as I climb into the car's front seat. There's no way I'm getting stuck in the back next to Alyssa, who loves screaming the music from her car ride playlist into the ear of whoever's sitting next to her.

"So what? You know Nicole loves me. Besides, it's not my fault that you were taking forever to get out here," she admits as she quickly pulls out of the driveway, almost hitting the trash cans across the street. I grip the handlebar on the ceiling, knowing damn well this will be a bumpy ride.

We pick up Camila next, who lives just a street over from me. All of us live in the same area, which has made it convenient when hanging out. We pull up to Camila's house and she's already waiting outside, tapping her foot aggressively on the sidewalk.

"You guys are like ten minutes late," she points out as she throws her stuff in the trunk and climbs into the backseat.

"You can thank Maliah for that. She took forever to get ready and I practically had to wait an hour for her," Jackie says, pinning all the blame on me. As much as I want to argue, I know that it's no use. The two of them are impossible.

Our final stop is Alyssa's apartment, located in a small apartment complex just across the highway. She's already 18, being one of the oldest in our grade. The second she turned 18 and had access to her trust left for her from her grandpa, she bought her own apartment, claiming she needed the space. I don't blame her though, considering she grew up with 5 younger brothers.

"Alyssa you can't bring that," Jackie groans. I turn to find Alyssa standing there innocently, her arms wrapped around her surfboard. Does she really think she'll be able to fit that inside Jackie's coupe?

"There's no way that's fitting in her," Camila says, practically reading my mind. Alyssa examines the car for a moment before she lets out a long groan and drags her board back up into her second-floor apartment.

"I hope you guys are happy," she mumbles as she climbs into the back seat and takes a seat next to Camila.

"Yes Alyssa, we're so happy. We just love making you miserable," I smile, attempting to lighten the mood with some sarcasm.

"Someone's in a good mood," Camila points out.

I do feel practically good. Maybe it's the fact that I won't be having to worry about a certain annoying someone this summer.

"Did I tell you guys about how Jackson won't be visiting this summer?"

"What?? Nooooo. I was so looking forward to seeing that hot bod and face of his this summer," Jackie whines.

"Ew. Never say that again." Hot is the last word that I would use to describe Jackson. Infuriating, yes. Hot, certainly not.

"Oh please. You know damn well that that man is fine," Alyssa chimes in.

"Whatever," I murmur, determined to end this appalling conversation. "What beach are we going to?" I ask, changing the subject.

Twenty minutes later we're pulling into the Del Mar parking lot. We all grab our stuff and quickly sprint down to the beach, eager to get into the water. It has been quite hot in San Diego, causing many people to flock to the beaches. We find a spot on the sand, apply our sunscreen, and rush into the water, all of us eager to not be last.

Time flies by, the hours blurring together as we enjoy the sun. Soon enough, the sun has set and we all load back into Jackie's car. A few years ago my parents had both a pool and a hot tub built into our backyard. Since then, the four of us have been heading back to my house to hang out in the pool after the beach.

As we pull onto my street, I notice a familiar-looking car turning onto the street, following us as we make our way towards my house. Why the hell does that car look so-

No.

As Jackie pulls into my driveway, the car continues driving before pulling into my neighbor's driveway.

No.

We all get out of the car, and as if on cue, freaking Jackson Cruz gets out of his car. What the hell is Jackson Cruz doing here?

As if he can hear my thoughts, he turns in my direction, a grin spreading across his face as he notices the shocked look pasted across my face.

"Surprised to see me?" he laughs, before grabbing his suitcase and heading into the house.

What the hell just happened?

GUYS!!!! WHAT DID YOU THINK? I hope that you all enjoyed the first chapter of this story. I'm so pumped to be writing it and really hope you will all stay along for the ride! I'm going to be posting chapters every Monday, so make sure to stick around to find out what happens next!!!