14

Mud

I scramble getting up out the water and almost choke myself. My mind becomes more and more cluttered as I frantically back away towards the shore still half way deep.

Suddenly, I'm dragged out.

"Mud? What happened?" His presence puts me in a trance... a whole state of awe.

I shake my head. He keeps his eyes on my body, checking it and scanning it to see if I'm okay.

"My eyes. They... what happened yesterday was real wasn't it? I mean..." I look down at my sides then at my hands.

They're normal... but my eyes...

I hear him gasp.

"My eyes?" I look at him, starting to lose my mind.

He looks around before sitting on the sand where I am. He starts mumbling to me while his features grow sadder and sadder.

"I'll do what I can..." he says; his words confuse
me.

Why are you whispering?

"Sita," I grab him.

"I'll end it out. The worse is over," he tugs.

My heart beats so loud in my chest I can hear it.

No! The animals said no! The island said no!

"Yesterday really happened... I heard them. I heard the animals; you can't..." I dry heath but keep quiet so he won't think I'm disgusted by him.

Im overwhelmed. My chest is starting to hurt. I'm transforming into another being? His being? The idea is making my stomach knot.

"Mud... you don't understand. I barely understand," he says.

"They understand!" I say, referencing to what I think happened yesterday.

"No they don't!" He yells back.

"I-I this is making me sick. I think I'm fitna be sick; this is too much for me. This is not who I am; it's overwhelming me," I take deep breaths, then lay back on the sand.

I'm panicking.

"I'm an explorer. Has my time as a human come to an end, just like that? And then you... you want to deny what's right in front of our faces. I've been searching for god my entire life, and you have it. You're supposed to be this advanced being. You are this advanced being, but you disobey your god and your companions like a fool. What are you? What's the real you? I had the dream; I have questions, but that egg is mine too. It's meant to be mine and you won't kill even if I am turning into a fuckin... whatever fucking thing you are," my mouth runs on it's own.

I sigh when I notice how my words cut him. His eyes are watering. He's clearly thinking heavy thoughts.

"I'm sorry, okay!" The emotion in his voice grows.

"Is you saying I'm sorry gonna make me human again? No... so don't say it. Stop disabling your prophecies," I mutter the last words.

Silence comes again. When I look back where Sita was, he's gone.

"Wait!" I call out for him.

He's rushing away from me. I start jogging after him.

"Sita!" I call.

He looks back at me broken and upset all over again. I follow him all the way back to his cave...

...our cave.

"No, no... you can't be stressed out. That's not good for the ba-uhhh. I was joking," I lie at the end.

"Joke? Funny," his voice cracks; knocks and click come form him.