Chapter 4

"What are we to do, Chancellor?" The man wearing navy blue attire approaches the pacing Chancellor. "The livestock are just disappearing from the fields every night! Our economy is plummeting because of it, and if we don't solve this soon..."

"I know, Michael." I watch from my seat as the Chancellor stops pacing and rubs his forehead in deep loss. "The livestock are dwindling in numbers and we have already had plenty complaints from the farmers about this..."

 As the two men begin conversing on the subject, I lean my elbow on the small table in front of me and start twirling my dagger on the table, the tip balancing on the wooden surface. My eyes scan the large hall packed with royal families and people of high power. I still have no idea why I was invited to this little get-together where all they do is argue. It is certainly not my style and I have better things to do in this obvious waste of time...

 "Hey, you!" The sudden unfamiliar voice catches me by surprise causing my dagger to fall on its side with a loud clang. My attention turns to an elderly man on his feet glaring at me with menacing eyes. "Pay attention! You should feel privileged to be invited to this conference, especially since you are an outsider!" His voice is stern and clear, interrupting the deep conversation between the Chancellor and the man called Michael.

 My eyes roll and I slouch back in my seat, avoiding the other eyes in the room. "Like I wanted to be invited, old man. Besides, I am paying attention." I retort, slamming my hand over my dagger on the table and picking it up, continuing to twirl it on its point.

"Oh, is that so?" Michael's voice decides to grace me this time. I glance at him momentarily to see a sarcastic look grow on his face. "So then, outsider. Care to express your opinion on this matter in front of us all?" He asks, indicating with his hand for me to get out my seat and walk to the throne where the Chancellor took it upon himself to sit.

 I release the air from my lungs, continuing to twirl my dagger. "I have very little of an opinion, Chancellor; you guys seem to have enough for us all." After saying that, I glare towards the Chancellor. "Besides, I do not think discussing our options is going to stop the Goblins from raiding your livestock." I add, seeing an immediate change in the room's atmosphere.

Michael steps back in shock and sweat starts to form on his forehead. "G-Goblins!?"

 I nod my head in approval and the room is suddenly drowned in murmurs from each Lord and Lady present in the room.

 Michael begins laughing loudly to himself. "That is absurd! There have been no Goblins in our land for over ten years! How could we suddenly have them return?"

"They never left." I answer him in monotone, knowing he will never agree to my truthful conclusion.

"Really? They never left." Michael looks around the room and points to me. "Get this outsider; 'They never left', he says!" He begins to gather morale on his side, leaving me little choice but to bite back.

 I slam the blade of my dagger into the table and stand up, leaning over the table and just gazing into the silver blade now stuck in the wooden surface. "I may be an outsider of this place, but I know what I am talking about." I throw my hand to the direction of the entrance of the hall and raise my head revealing my determined eyes. "Outside these walls there are vast areas of woodland. Who knows how many abandoned buildings and caves there are. How can you people, those who never set foot out of the safety of your own walls, possibly know what is out there?" I slam my raging fist down on the table, feeling anger build up in my system. "I am not suggesting it is Goblins. I am telling you it is Goblins."

The moment my voice finishes, the doors to the hall slam open and a young man stumbles up the stairs. "Begging your pardon, sirs, but there's trouble!" He manages to pant out, holding himself to the ground in politeness and submission.