Chapter 5 ~ Owen Willaim Rhodes

***

CHAPTER 5

Owen William Rhodes

***

He had never been rejected by a woman. Being exceptionally rich, good-looking, and powerful helped with the matter. To top it off, saving a girl's life was a guarantee to have her swoon. So, why was Goldie looking at him like he was an expired bottle of milk?

Owen forced his smile. He shifted in his leather seat, waiting for her response to his heroic act. She grumbled and turned her back.

"Urgh, can this day get any worse?"

He had never dropped a smile so fast before.

"Excuse me, I saved your life!"

"I had it covered."

"You were about to get strangled to death!"

"Best way to surprise your attacker."

Owen blinked at the girl. Once. Twice.

"You might have a concussion," he concluded.

"Can we go get me a milkshake? I feel like I deserve a milkshake," Goldie said, turning to face him again.

"Undoubtedly a concussion," he nodded. "You might be the first person to ask a cyng for a milkshake. Do you even know who I am?"

Goldie rubbed at her head, her hair slick from the rain.

"Yeah, I know. I just don't honestly care right now. I have the worst headache, and you just look like a kid in a fancy coat."

Owen raised his eyebrows, leaning back in his seat. The girl was lucky she was talking to him and not one of the other bloodlines. Who knew what would happen if she kept this up with the North?

"You know, Goldie, the last person that called me a child, has a bullet between his eyes."

"Mmm-hm, sounds great."

Owen threw in the towel. The girl was obviously too dense to threaten. He shook his head and glanced out the window. The rain was coming down hard, sleek streaks sliding down the window to the point where he could barely see outside.

What on Earth is taking my kin so long? Owen wondered. He knocked on the window to hurry them up. Matt finished off the last guy, kicking him in the face, before high-fiving the twins like they won a tennis match. They walked back to the car, a skip in their step and two bloodied pulps in their wake. Maybe even corpses.

Matt got into the front of the eight-seater, the twins in the middle.

"Man, don't get blood all over the car. I got it cleaned yesterday," Seane complained from the driver's seat.

"It's not my fault the guy didn't stop bleeding!" Matt defended.

"Solid case," the twins said.

Owen turned to Goldie with a satisfied smile. The girl pressed herself to the corner of her seat, watching everyone with wide eyes. Being a gentleman and all, he introduced his kin.

"Mister squeaky clean at the driver's seat is Seane," Owen said. "You'll notice he also happens to be the emo one."

"I'm not emo. You all just make me want to die," Seane replied flatly, shooting a look from under his fringe in the rear-view mirror.

"As I said, emo," Owen laughed. "The blond goof next to him is Matt. Don't be flattered, however. He flirts with anyone."

"Hey, don't shoot me down like that! I haven't even made a move yet," Matt sulked, craning his neck back to look at Goldie. "The name's Matthew Bell Scott, but you can call me Matt. If you weren't aware, I'm first kin, which makes me the best."