Chapter Twenty-Nine

Clara opened the door as I stepped down from the counter.

A young officer was standing on the other side.
"I'm Officer VonAllmen. I'm with the local police department." He stepped inside, giving a nod to Clara as she backed away. He held out a picture. "Is this the guy?"

Gently, I took it, and my breath hitched.
I nodded, "yes, that's... That's him."

Just looking at him made me feel like his hands were over me again.
I thrust the photo back to the officer.

"Thank you. You don't have to worry about him anymore. He's going to jail." The officer glanced at Clara, giving her another small nod before he left.

Clara let out a sigh of relief as she put a hand over her heart. "Oh, thank you," she looked up towards the ceiling and then came rushing over to me and wrapping me in a hug, stiffening.

Slowly, I wrapped my arms around her.

"Oh, oh, we must tell the Hunters!" She exclaimed. I thought of Dominic and then how happy Mini and Alan would be once they heard the news.

I nodded as Clara grabbed our coats.

Once we stepped up to their house and told them the news, they were ecstatic. I glanced around, noting Dominic's absence, and figured he had finally gone back to school.

Mini proposed they celebrate. A dinner at a nice restaurant, which Clara opened her mouth to explain we couldn't pay for a nice meal, when Mini interrupted and said they were planning to pay anyway.

Clara smiled and gladly accepted.