Chapter 4

My head pounded as I woke up, still feeling the effects of the night before. Even after a shower, my eyes were still red-rimmed and swollen. I did my best to hide it with makeup, but I knew only time – and maybe an icepack – would do it any good.

I went down the stairs almost two at a time in my haste to get some food in my empty stomach and to take something for my head. Entering the kitchen, I froze in my tracks. Much to my bewilderment, my dad was sitting with his back to me on one of the tall stools at the kitchen island. His laptop was open in front of him and I could smell his coffee from where I stood. The scene itself was familiar but not one I'd seen in a long time.

I approached cautiously. "Good morning," I offered as I made my past him to the cabinets and took out a glass.

"Good morning," he answered, never looking up from his computer.

"Do you have the day off?" I asked, turning away from him to fill up my water glass. While pouring the water up to the rim, I could hear the gentle taps as he typed away on his keyboard. I let out a long breath and opened the refrigerator to grab a yogurt. When I moved to the silverware drawer to get a spoon, I heard his typing stop.

"Sorry." His voice made me jump and I nearly dropped my spoon right as I picked it up. "What did you say?"

"I asked if you have the day off." Wanting to eat quickly, I opened my yogurt and stuck a giant spoonful in my mouth.

"That I do." He rubbed the bridge of his strong nose as an awkward pause hung in the air between us. I did my best not to stare at him, but I noticed for the first time that his wheat-colored stubble had some grey in it.

When did that happen?

Looking back down at my breakfast, I struggled to swallow down another large mouthful. "That's nice," I said with a smile. "Where's mom?"

My dad took a long sip from his mug. "She said she was going to the gym."

"Oh, and she didn't make you go with her?" I asked, genuinely surprised.

The corners of his lips quirked into the slightest smile. "Not today. She should be back soon though."

I nodded, feeling the conclusion to the conversation. Not wanting to hover, I finished off my yogurt as quickly as I could and chased it down with the entire contents of my water glass. I refilled the glass and was about to take it with me out of the kitchen when my dad looked up from his computer again.

"Connie," he called after me, evidently not realizing that I hadn't even left the room yet. He jolted when he turned in his seat and saw that I was standing only a few feet behind him. "Sorry," he said sheepishly. "I almost forgot, but do you think you could bring your uncle some coffee this morning? Your aunt called to see if your mom was available, but she'd already left."

"Sure." I made my smile a little wider. "I'll head out now."

My dad's shoulders relaxed a bit. "Thanks. Just take my card from my wallet if you need it."

"It's okay. I'm good." Seeing that I was dismissed, I left the kitchen in search of aspirin.

I definitely need it now.

---

Twenty minutes later, I wound my way down the sidewalk carrying my Uncle Gary's coffee from his favorite diner. He'd always insisted that the place had the best roast, but it was all the same to me.

When I made it to the small, grassy hill, I focused on where to put my feet. It could have been pure superstition or it could have been grounded in a form of respect, but I was always careful to avoid stepping over someone's grave.