17. ''Tear Down This Wall''

June 12, 1987

Brandenburg Gate

West Berlin, West Germany

"Bist du ein Amerikaner?"

I glanced down at my jeans and cowboy boots, not to mention the American flag tied around my shoulders. I looked up at the stranger holding the disposable camera and smiled. "Yes, I am."

At the first syllable of English, his eyes went to Germany. "Würden Sie bitte ein Foto von uns machen?"

Germany took the camera with a deadpan expression. He glanced at me for approval, and I waved encouragingly as I stepped back to pose with the German couple.

"Ja, schnell bitte," he said gruffly.

"Say 'cheese'!" I exclaimed through grinning teeth.

They giggled as the camera flashed.

The man retrieved the camera with a nervous thanks before they winged off into the massive crowd of people in front of us.

"Sorry," Germany grumbled. "They're excited."

"Are you kidding me?" I waved dismissively. "I'm excited."

A smile ghosted his face. "Me too."

The stage was covered in US and German flags, washing it in a rainbow of colors. Smaller flags bobbed and waved above the heads of the restless audience. President Reagan sat on stage chatting casually with the mayor of West Berlin. Behind the stage stood the Berlin Wall, a heavily graffitied scar in the foreground of the historic Brandenburg Gate.

By 1987, the illusion of East Germany's nationhood was already beginning to crumble. President Reagan had merely come to help it along.

The crowd quieted down when the mayor took the podium. I tried my best to focus on his badly broken English, but my mind inevitably wandered.

"I read the speech," I whispered to Germany. "He speaks a little German. More than Kennedy."

He quirked an eyebrow. "Ambitious."

"I know," I breathed in admiration. "Also, my German's a little rusty, so..."

He gave me a sideways glance. "Jawohl."

As the President took the microphone, the people erupted with cheers. He smiled out at the crowd as he arranged the papers on his podium.

"Thank you very much," he began warmly. "Chancellor Kohl, Governing Mayor Diepgen, ladies and gentlemen." The audience quieted as he began. "Twenty-four years ago, President John F. Kennedy visited Berlin, speaking to the people of this city, and the world, at the city hall. Since then, two other presidents have come each in his turn to Berlin. Today, I myself make my second visit to your city. You see, like so many Presidents before me, I come here today because wherever I go, whatever I do: 'Ich hab noch einen Koffer in Berlin.'"

Germany chuckled along with the crowd. "'I still have a suitcase in Berlin,'" he translated.

"Our gathering today is being broadcast throughout Western Europe and North America. To those listening throughout Eastern Europe, I extend my warmest greetings and the goodwill of the American people. To those listening in East Berlin, a special word." He paused. "Although I cannot be with you, I address my remarks to you just as surely as to those standing here before me. For I join you, as I join your fellow countrymen in the West, in this firm—this unalterable belief: Es gibt nur ein Berlin."

Germany leaned toward me. "'There is only'—"

"'One Berlin,'" I finished with a smile.

"And now the Soviets themselves may, in a limited way, be coming to understand the importance of freedom. We hear much from Moscow about a new policy of reform and openness. Are these the beginnings of profound changes in the Soviet state? Or are they token gestures intended to raise false hopes in the West?"

"Token gestures," I muttered to Germany.

"There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable—that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace." He paused and looked directly at the TV cameras over our shoulders. "General Secretary Gorbachov, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization, come here to this gate. Mr. Gorbachev...open this gate."

At this, the crowd erupted with cheers. Germany and I exchanged excited smiles as we clapped. Reagan's following words were almost drowned out by the audience.

"Mr. Gorbachev..."

I grabbed Germany's arm. "Shh."

The crowd quieted.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

The people roared with one voice. Flags and hands waved overhead, blocking the stage entirely from our view. Even Germany raised his fist into the air and cheered. I watched him with a huge smile on my face, realizing that he had finally chosen the path to freedom.

~

A/N: Please comment/vote <3

Bist du ein Amerikaner | Are you an American?

Würden Sie bitte ein Foto von uns machen | Would you take a picture of us?

Ja, schnell bitte | Yes, quickly please.

Jawohl | Understood.