EIGHTY SIX

October 30th, '81

Peter Pettigrew arrived in the muggle part of Surrey at five o'clock in the morning on October 29th.

Colin Jones found his cousin, Damien, dead in their living room ten minutes later. He had been awoken by the bang and rushed down. He fell to his knees over the boy's body, sobbing as he noticed the dark mark above his house. There was a figure in the garden, he rushed out, wand outstretched, lowering it as he realised it was Peter Pettigrew.

"Peter," Colin breathed. "How did you get here so fast?"

"We were just notified," Peter said calmly. "I came as fast as I could."

"Is anyone else from the order coming?"

"Colin, I'm in auror training, it'll be okay."

Colin leant back against his house and cried into his hands. 

"Did you see anything?"

"No- I- Damien is in Slytherin! He has good relationships with everyone, he plays nice with the death eaters, I don't understand!"

"Damien was a muggleborn, correct?"

"Yes," he said through tears.

"And no Slytherins ever knew about this?"

Colin paused, "Juliet Romilly did, in school. But I don't think she-"

Peter painted a distressed look on his face, "ah, I see."

"She wouldn't, she's been on our side-"

"The order has had a spy," Peter said quietly. "We have all suspected her quietly, trying not to provoke her."

Colin sat down on the grass, his head against the brick breathing heavily, "she got the dark mark, in school, I remember."

Peter nodded and sat opposite him, feigning sadness. 

"We all wanted to trust her."

"I'm gonna kill her."

"I'll summon the others," Peter sighed. "It's better if you say you saw her, quicker to get them to Azkaban that way."

Colin nodded.

It was six o'clock in the morning when Alastor Moody entered the flat which Juliet and Remus shared. Dumbledore had heard the news, and got rid of the wards, being their secret keeper.

Juliet shrieked at the sound of the door being broken down and rushed into the living room, wand outstretched. Remus was already there, he looked at her, confused.

Alastor entered the flat and promptly disarmed the witch.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Remus asked. "What are you-"

"Juliet Romilly, we have reason to believe this morning you murdered Damien Jones," Alastor said, stepping aside as ministry officials entered the flat.

Remus stared at her, she was fully dressed.

"Damien is dead?" She asked, in shock, her arms limp as men took ahold of her.

"She didn't," Remus said quietly. He looked to Dumbledore desperately. "She wouldn't, it was her who bloody protected him all those years ago! It was her-"

When they apparated only he and his old headmaster remained, there were tears falling down his face and the old wizard put a hand on his shoulder.

"Colin has said she was there. That he saw her."

Remus shook his head, "bullshit, no-"

A few hours later a wolf patronus appeared in front of Sirius' window. He jumped out of bed and ran outside. As soon as he heard Remus' voice he apparated, seeing his friend with his forehead to a wall in muggle London.