Chapter 1

・❥・・❥・・❥・・❥・・❥・

"Come on! I want you to meet Niall and he's bringing his friend, so you have to come. Harry, his friend, is really cute, I think you guys would get along just great," Melissa explained, a mischievous glint in her eye.

I rolled my eyes at her. "I don't know, Melissa. I'm not really in the mood for a night out."

It's a Friday evening, and Melissa, my best friend and roommate, was trying to convince me to come to the bar with her.

Melissa groaned. "But you're always studying or working! You need to let loose sometimes." Hands on her hips while deciding which top she to wear.

I laughed. "I do let loose. Just not in a loud, crowded bar." I rolled over onto my back and looked up at Melissa's bedroom ceiling.

Melissa pouted. "Please, Ev? Niall really wants you to meet his friend Harry. He's been talking about him non-stop since I mentioned you."

I raised an eyebrow. "And you want me to come because?"

Melissa grinned. "Because you're my best friend and I want you to meet my new crush's friend. Plus, who knows? You might have fun. You deserve some fun, especially after him."

Him, Riley the ex-boyfriend who shouldn't be named. Breaking up with him before summer began was the best decision I made, but now I was stuck picking up the pieces of myself he tore down during our relationship.

I sighed, knowing that Melissa wouldn't let up until I agreed. "Fine, I'll come. But only for a little while."

Melissa jumped up and down excitedly. "Yes! You won't regret it, I promise!"

I was hesitant, not really in the mood to go out, but Melissa knew how to persuade me. She promised that we'd only stay for a little bit and that I didn't even have to drink if I didn't want to.

I finally gave in and decided to come along. I opted for a cute and casual outfit that would make me feel comfortable but still looked like I put in some effort.

I threw on a pair of high-waisted light blue flare jeans that hugged my curves in all the right places and paired them with a white cropped t-shirt that showcased just a hint of skin.

For the chilly summer evenings, I added a loose-fitting warm beige cardigan to drape over my shoulders and add a touch of coziness to the look.

To finish off the outfit, I slipped on a pair of white sneakers with a subtle platform that gave me a bit of height and made my legs look longer.

I accessorized with a simple gold pendant necklace, a few delicate rings on my fingers, and a pair of simple hoop earrings that caught the light as I moved.

My hair was styled in loose beachy waves, and I wore minimal makeup, just a touch of mascara and a swipe of gloss on my lips, giving me a fresh and natural look to complete the effortless yet put-together vibe.

Looking at myself in the mirror, I felt confident and ready for the night.

That's how I ended up walking towards the local bar with Melissa, where Niall and his friend Harry were waiting for us. I had never met either Niall or Harry before, but Melissa assured me that they were both really cool guys.

I was actually excited to be meeting Niall, as he's all I'd been hearing about for the past few weeks. So obviously, I was curious to see what he was like. And it did not hurt that this Harry person was apparently cute. What harm could some fun do?

It was a beautiful summer evening, with a slight breeze to temper the bright and intense sun that was still shining but ready to set. It was a week before the third-year fall classes were beginning, so it was a nice, stress-free weekend, the calm before the storm. And, oh, how I didn't know how true this was.