Chapter Six

"That's none of your concern," says the alpha over the sound of hooves.

He's leaning into me as we put space between us and the castle, and I feel his hard body against my back. Trees loom up on either side of us.

"It will be our concern if the bastards come after us," says the red-haired man. "I happen to like my balls attached to my body."

"I don't know why," replies the alpha. "You hardly ever use them."

The musky smell of horse floods my nose, mixing with the scent of damp earth. I cling on to a ridge at the front of the saddle, knuckles wet and white, my thighs gripping the beast for dear life as it jolts forward. The spindly winter-worn branches overhead provide little shelter from the wind and the rain, yet I'm not cold.

I do not know whether it is the body behind me that keeps me warm, emanating heat even though he is only wearing a sodden shirt. Or the fur he wrapped around me. Or perhaps it's the speed of my heartbeat, pumping blood laced with adrenaline through my veins.

Whatever it is, I think it is also keeping the fear I should be feeling at bay, too. Because I'm being kidnapped by the enemy, and I don't even care. In fact, with each tree we put between us and the castle, another knot in my chest seems to untangle. There will be time for fear and panic, I'm sure. Now I feel as if I'm flying through the darkness.

I'm a prisoner. But I'm free. And I wonder how both of these things can be true at the same time, yet know they are.

The red-haired man glances at me again. "She's a beauty, for sure. That doesn't mean you can just swipe the lass. What's the king going to say?"

"What makes you think I didn't take her on the king's orders?" says the alpha, and I stiffen. "Not your king," he adds in a whisper against my cheek.

I frown, confused. There is only one king—unless you count the false king my brother is fighting a war against over on the continent. And surely the Wolves are too unruly, too disorganized, to be fighting for him.

"Because I happen to know what the king ordered us to take from the castle. And I know it wasn't a bonnie lass in her nightgown." He meets my eyes. "Who are you? And don't let this big oaf frighten you."

"I'm not afraid," I say.

My voice is quiet. It is drowned by the hooves pounding the forest floor, and the wind rustling the branches, but the wolf's eyes latch onto mine curiously.

It must be true what they say about Wolves having hearing stronger than the gods intended.

I shiver.

"She's none of your concern." The alpha's tone is firm.

"She's the princess, Fergus," Magnus drawls behind us.

A smile spreads on Fergus's face, too big to be genuine. "Tell me he's joking. Tell me you didn't kidnap the daughter of the king. Because I know—I know—you're not that much of a hot-headed fool."

The alpha shrugs behind me. His body feels relaxed—despite the jolting of the horse and his hard muscles.

"For the love of the Goddess!" roars Fergus. "Put her down!"

"It's a bit late for that," says the alpha.

"They'll have our hides for this," says Fergus.

"They'll have your hides if they catch you anyway," I mutter under my breath.

I feel the soft laugh in the alpha's chest. Fergus looks sharply at him.

"This is madness," says Fergus, exasperated. "They'll come after us."