Chapter 2

They rode for the Twins at daybreak.

Greatjon did not have high hopes, the army gathered and lying in wait while Theon Greyjoy, Arnal, and Aspen– their chosen archers– shot down all the ravens leaving the Twins.

"It's a birthday message to his grand-niece Walda," said Robb after the latest message was taken to him.

"Or so Walder Frey would have you think," said Theon.

"Keep shooting them down," advised Lady Catelyn. "We can't risk Lord Walder sending word of your movements to the Lannisters."

Thyrsa figured they shouldn't just be lingering there if that was the case.

"He's Grandfather's bannerman," argued Robb. "We can't expect his support?"

"Expect nothing of Walder Frey," said Greatjon. "And you'll never be surprised. Look."

Two men were riding out to them, holding flags with the sigil of House Frey. "Father rots in a dungeon," murmured Robb. "How long before they take his head? We need to cross the Trident and we need to do it now."

"Just march up to his gates and tell him you're crossing," said Theon. "We've got five times his numbers. You can take the Twins if you have to."

Robb looked at Thyrsa, nodding for her to speak. She said, "It risks their men, which we need and can make use of if a bargain is struck. Taking the Twins by force would take too long and leave us with less men than we set out with. Not to mention the Freys cannot be trusted to react well with what they'll perceive to be an invasion."

"She is right," said Lady Catelyn. "The Freys have held the crossing for six-hundred years and for six-hundred years they've never failed to exact their toll. Demanding to cross will end poorly."

"Have my horse saddled and ready," instructed Robb.

Greatjon huffed. "Enter the Twins alone and he'll sell you to the Lannisters as he likes."

"Or throw you in a dungeon, or slit your throat," said Theon.

"My father would do whatever it took to secure our crossing," said Robb. "Whatever it took. We should strike a bargain. And if I'm going to lead this army, I can't have other men doing my bargaining for me."

"I agree," said Lady Catelyn. "I'll go." The men began to protest, but she interrupted, "I have known Lord Walder since I was a girl. He would never harm me."

"It would not be wise to say 'never' in times of war, my lady," said Aspen quietly. "My father always says there is no telling what anyone would do for the right price; profit is a motivator for murder. If the Frey's loyalty cannot be guaranteed, neither can safety in their home. If she must go, I will ride with her."

Robb relented. Aspen and Catelyn rode out, while Thyrsa took over with the bow and arrows, keeping the ravens grounded and unable to communicate with any Lannisters.

"Lord Robb's taken a liking to you," noticed Greatjon when he found her reading another scroll from a dead raven.

"You better not be thinking what Aspen said you might be," said Thyrsa with a scowl. "I won't be marrying Robb or any other Stark."

"It wasn't what I was going to say," said Greatjon. "He trusts you. It is a good thing."

She sat herself down, laying her sword beside her. "Why did you bring me here?"

"It is time you test your skills on the battlefield."

"Why not Jon? Why me?"

"He's a stubborn lad. He wouldn't get along well with the others and he'd want things his way."