PART III

27th September 2020

"We could've just gone to XOYO, you know," Gene stuffed his hands into his pockets, "This place is so dead. I went last year."

"Can't be that bad," Rosaline shrugged, before smirking a little and nudging him, "Don't you want to have a little disco?"

He looked at her weirdly, before glancing back in front of him to Anna and Matthew, someone from the flat down the hall, "I prefer RB, if I'm honest."

"Boring." She rolled her eyes, "There's karaoke here, you fancy a go?"

"Fuck that," He said, before raising an eyebrow, as if he was changing his mind, "Are you doing it?"

"Only if you do."

A small grin poked out, "What song?"

She lifted her shoulders, turning the corner, following her friend, "Hmm, I think I'd have to get a drink down me before."

"You already have- several," He argues back, "You can't handle your alcohol either."

She glares, crossing her arms, which causes him to laugh, "Get your ID out, quick, he's checking them." She changes the subject, signalling to the bouncer at the door, his arms crossed as if he was a side character in a movie.

Anna and Matthew both met Rosa and Gene inside, which seemed quiet by the way. It was littered in red and pink lights shining around the bar area, which had a set of three booths and stools. Off to the right was the entrance to the music room, and then stairs up to the bathrooms and also down to the karaoke room.

It was a pretty venue, but just extremely silent- well, silent in comparison to what you would expect a freshers event to be.

"What do you want to drink?" Gene asked, breaking her silence, and taking a glance at the other two.

"Er- vodka Redbull," She forced a smile, "Single. I'll transfer you the money."

"No, come on now," He scoffed, pulling out his wallet, "I'll get the first round, what do you two want?" He asked, glancing up briefly to look at Anna and Matthew, who were sort of in their own conversation.

"I'll have whatever she's having," Anna grinned cheesily, putting an arm around her friend, "What are you having, by the way?" She then asked, whispering.

"Single vodka Redbull," Rosa smirked, "Is that to your satisfaction?"

"I was hoping for a Jägerbomb, but that'll do," She responds sarcastically, "What do you want, Matt? Gene's buying."

"Um, just whatever's on tap," He shrugged dismissively, brushing a hand through his hair, "I've gotta take a leak, you mind waiting?"

Rosa and Anna both nodded, "Yeah, can we sit?" The blonde girl asked, "I hate drinking and standing."

"Ooh, you and me both," Anna grimaced, waiting for Matthew to disappear down the hallway before trotting over to the booth and sliding into it, "Do you think he's cute?" She then asked, forwardly.

"Matthew? I guess. Not really my type," She responds dismissively, "Why? Are you biting?"

She bit down on her finger a little, "Maybe. What about you and Gene? How's that going?"

"Nothing's going. We're just friends," She looked down, tapping her hands on the wooden table, "It is weird though- that we get along so well. I thought we were polar opposites-"

"Thought we'd just slide in here- you know, since you two look ever so lonely."

Anna and Rosaline both looked to the left of them, where two boys, a similar age to either of them, pushed themselves into the spare seats beside them, both grinning like school kids and hair styled in almost a controlled-chaos way.