Chapter 5: Sophia

Chapter 5

Sophia

"Just take a deep breath. In, out, and remember your calming words."

I opened one eye to peer at Tori. "I don't have calming words."

"Then use mine. Repeat after me. Sangria. Chardonnay. Rosé."

"Those are just wines."

"No, they're calming words, and you need to be nice and Zen before you go in there, so less sassing, more repeating."

I sighed, absentmindedly toying with the plain white folder on my lap, trying to offset my nerves with positive thoughts. Considering it was the day of my first movie audition, that was easier said than done.

Moira had called me yesterday and had somehow managed to turn my nerves into excitement. She told me a talent agent was going to be at my audition. Lea Jameson was a friend of hers and had agreed to come out for it. Moira also gave me some last-minute words of wisdom that had calmed me down enough to let me get some sleep, paired with some melatonin, but that soothing effect was long gone.

I knew I was only auditioning for a small part. It wasn't going to win me any awards, and it would probably only be a blip in my career in the grand scheme of things, if I actually managed to pull it off. But it was still a real audition. Not an audition for a play being put on in my hometown. Not an audition for some low-budget movie being shot out of someone's backyard. This was my first real audition. I was so close to doing what I felt like I was meant to be doing, yet I couldn't will myself to move.

"Sangria. Chardonnay. Rosé."

"Good. Don't let them know you're nervous. Just take a deep breath. Just breathe, Soph."

"I am breathing. If I weren't breathing, I'd be dead right now."

"Shut up and breathe deeper."

Following her advice, I managed to steady my breathing, and felt the latest wave of nerves start to ebb.

"Better?"

I opened my eyes and nodded. "Much."

"Good. Now, get in there and knock their socks off. Show them what we Midwesterners are made of. And no, it's not corn."

"And on that note, I'm leaving." I rolled my eyes at her before getting out of the car, shutting the door behind me with a shake of my head. I looked up at the imposing, modern building where auditions for Kidnap My Heart were being held and took another deep breath.

"Here goes nothing," I muttered, walking towards the revolving glass doors. I hesitated before stepping inside, wondering if I was in over my head here.

A honk snapped me out of my thoughts. I spun around and saw Tori watching me. I gave her a thumbs up to reassure both her and myself. She leaned over and stuck her own thumb out the passenger window. I couldn't help but smile. Even if this audition was a total bust, I knew Tori would be there to help me cry it out and eat my feelings afterwards.

With one hand on the glass and the other clutching my folder, I pushed aside my unease and made my way inside. I had no idea where I was going from there, but luckily, the receptionist was able to point me in the right direction.

I opened the door and walked into the lobby, where a couple of people were already seated. Judging by their uneasy expressions and inability to sit still, they were likely hopefuls waiting for their own audition.

I didn't make it very far before I ran into something hard. The folder I was holding fell from my hands, and I just barely managed to catch it without spilling any of its contents.