Chapter 261 - A Fake Test & A Bad Omen

With Naruto & Mizuki.

"Naruto. I'm here because there is one more test for the graduation exam."

"One more test?" Naruto tilted his head in confusion. 'I've never heard of any tests. What's going on?'

"What do you mean Mizuki sensei? I've never heard of another test."

The academy Chunin smiled. "There is a reason for that. The graduation test you just took was to see who can become a Genin. The test you need to take will determine who really becomes a Genin. It can even help with team placements and final ranks in class. This test is kept a secret so the new recruits don't cheat."

Naruto's eyes widened and he grinned in excitement. 'If I can pass this test then maybe I can get a higher grade than Sasuke.'

"Awesome. Alright sensei what's the test?"

Mizuki took a small scroll from his pocket and rolled it open. He showed it to the eager student and explained. "This scroll contains a list of tasks assigned from the most difficult to the least difficult. Some tasks would be to retrieve small items, some tasks would be to follow others under stealth. Others will be for combat. There are some rules but I'll explain that later."

Naruto looked at the scroll and saw Sasuke's name right next to the second task. He also saw several of his friend's names as well next to the tasks on the list.

"Wait, is everyone in class already participating in this?" Naruto asked the Chunin.

"Most of them. Some declined. But your friends? Yes. They've already chosen their assignments. The higher the difficulty the more points you'll get. Sasuke chose the second task which is to fight a chunin. The only task more difficult than that is the retrieval of a scroll from the Hokage Tower..."

Mizuki carefully kept an eye on Naruto and watched with hidden glee as the boy's eyes narrowed when hearing the words. 'Bruise your ego and you'll do exactly what I want.'

"But that task is way too difficult... Too much for a fresh ordinary Genin." Mizuki shrugged and said in a nonchalant manner. "Now then why don't you choose a task to complete from the middle. I'm sure you can pass that and get a good ranking."

Naruto was silent for a few seconds before asking the question that was on his mind. "Hey Mizuki sensei, If I were to complete the first task, how many points would I get?"

'So predictable...'

"Naruto. Retrieving the scroll is way too difficult. You should pick something else." Mizuki said as if trying to change his mind.

"Please sensei. Just tell me."

"Well, that's the toughest challenge on the list. If you were to complete that then you would automatically become Rookie of the year."

Those words brought a big grin to the boy's face. "Awesome. I'll be the Rookie of the year instead of that jerk. Okay sensei. I've decided. I'm going to take the scroll from the Hokage Tower."

"Are you sure about this Naruto?"

"Yes yes. Now tell me the rules."

"Well, I'll give you information on what scroll you need to retrieve, where it's located and where to bring it. Now remember, your friends have already chosen their tasks. And some of them include surveillance on their classmates and battling. So make sure you don't interact with them or get caught or you might lose points." Mizuki said and Naruto paid close attention and eagerly nodded to everything.