Chapter 4: Asher's POV

I don't know what made me walk to her house. I swear my feet just took me here when I started walking. I hardly even noticed what direction I was going until I reached her house.

The past couple of days have me bored out of my mind. When I was in New York, there was never a moment where I wasn't hanging out with someone. If I wasn't, then I would go out on the street- the streets of New York are incredibly entertaining.

Here the streets are empty.

Amira is basically my only friend in this town. Back when I lived here I didn't actually like many people to be honest. Amira was one of the only people where I actually enjoyed their company. I don't think she ever knew that though.

I knock on her door. No answer. I knock again- no answer.

I check the time on my phone. 3 pm. She should be awake.

I knock a couple more times with no change. The no answer should probably be a sign that I should go home, but I'm determined to have some social interaction today. I go around to the side of her house and try to locate her window.

When I see her curtain-covered window I pick up a rock and throw it at the glass. I used to do exactly this when we were kids, if I wanted to hang out because what 10-year-old knocks?

I hear some movement coming from her room, and then I see her hand slide open the curtain, and then she becomes visible. She is wearing a huge black hoodie with the hood slipped over her head, hiding her face.

She opens her window reluctantly when she sees that it is me.

"What are you doing here?"

I shrug off the less-than-friendly greeting. I knew that she wasn't going to be completely thrilled to see me, but I expected her to be a little nicer.

"Wanna go out for some food?" I grin and raise my eyebrows.

She looks very hesitant like she isn't sure what she wants. She bites her lip nervously before looking down at me. Her face looks tired, with prominent bags under her eyes.

"Fine. Come through the back door- I'll be ready in 20 minutes."

She closes the window before giving me a chance to reply. The kid in me wants to pump the air right now. I want us to be close again so badly. I've missed her so much these past couple of years.

I sit on the couch in her lounge and wait for her to get ready.

I don't know how much time has passed when she finally comes downstairs. She is still wearing sweats that are 2 sizes too big for her, but she still looks fucking beautiful.

She barely looks at me and goes straight to the door.

"Sorry, I didn't bring my car. We can walk though- it's only 15 minutes."

She nods and gives me a small smile before she starts walking.

The walk there is mostly silent, but it isn't awkward. There is an understanding in the air that neither of us really feels like chatting.

I don't miss her small, but there smile as we approach where I am leading us. I took us to a small coffee shop that had a playground beside it. We used to always hang out on the playground while our parents went to the cafe.

"I haven't been here in ages," She lets out a sigh of sadness and relief.

"Yeah. Honestly, it's the only place I know around here that has decent food." It's true. I haven't really gotten the chance to explore the town, and most of the old places have closed down. That's what happens to businesses in small towns. They come and they go. Doesn't really matter the quality. There aren't enough customers for them to stay afloat.