2: Cigarettes & Alcohol: Part 4

July 25, 1995

That night's Order meeting had been relatively uneventful, save for Moody's exasperation at Tonks recounting that Hermione preferred mayonnaise on her chips. The true excitement came afterward with the induction of GIT's newest member.

"I call this meeting of the- can I help you with something Minnie?" Sirius asked hesitantly as the Hogwarts matriarch approached and leveled him with her best stare.

"I believe you can, Mr. Black," she began, pulling up a chair. "Would you know of any reason why Miss Granger's house was virtually saturated in magic? I counted no less than fifteen enchantments that had been cast."

"That's odd," Sirius commented innocently as he moved to take a drink. The glass never reached his mouth as it was forcefully stopped by a spell cast by the stern witch.

"How did you know?" Sirius eventually acquiesced. He'd never been able to stand up long under Minnie's interrogation.

To his surprise she didn't seem angry...at all.

"Despite being at the Granger's house several times over the years it was very difficult to find it this time. For some reason I kept walking right by it despite knowing exactly where it was," she observed, a smile poking through her stern façade.

"Yeah...that would be the compulsion charm I put up," Bill informed uncomfortably. "It's meant to compel anyone to keep walking if they have-"

"Ill intent," McGonagall completed his sentence, looking suitably ashamed.

Sirius fought the urge to go for his wand and Obliviate the woman. If she had informed Albus of what they'd done he'd never forgive her.

He cursed himself for his damned rash instincts. He trusted Minnie. Hell, he trusted Albus even if he didn't always agree with his methods. Besides, by the look on her face she looked properly embarrassed at what she had tried to do. So his wand remained on the table and he waited. She eventually gathered herself and began speaking.

"The defensive and compulsion charms you've added are quite impressive but I'd feel more comfortable if we added at least a few alert spells as well. And I know of a charm that would disillusion them whenever they are within twenty feet of their property. They wouldn't notice it of course but any passersby wouldn't see them. And I'd like to talk to Filius-"

"Minnie," he interrupted, attempting his best to look serious, "you need to be inducted into the taskforce before we can proceed."

"Taskforce?" she asked, her left eyebrow threatening to break through the ceiling.

Arthur cleared his throat. "The Granger Initiative Taskforce," he informed, doing his best not to laugh.

He watched the matriarch's wheels spinning before her expression morphed into a frown. She'd obviously sorted out the reason behind their absolutely brilliant name.

"Only you, Black," she muttered, finally allowing herself to smile. Sirius felt a profound sort of victory.

"What ridiculous act is involved in this induction?" Minerva grumbled. "Do I need to wear my knickers on my head for an hour?"

"No, but that's not bad," Sirius replied, fully grinning now. "You just have to promise not to tell Albus and sit and drink with us."

She attempted to look stern but failed miserably and he knew he had her. As much as she was known as a stern enforcer of order the woman praised those with a full heart above all else.

"I'll be back in a few minutes with some proper whisky."