Chapter 4

Like most high school lunchrooms, the cafeteria is loud and chaotic. It has a variety of long benches and some round tables. It's at one of those round tables that Cooper sits with a friend in front of some floor-to-ceiling windows that look out into the quad. Cooper's lost in conversation with his friend, so he hasn't noticed me yet, and it gives me a moment to react without anyone seeing. Is there something in the freaking water in Arizona? Some magical component that makes the boys cuter?

Cooper's friend looks like he was plucked straight from a boy band. He's gorgeous in a very pretty way. His ebony skin is smooth and clear. His dark brown hair, so nicely short, draws your attention to his big, brown eyes even from all the way across the room. Man, he's pretty. He's leaner than Cooper but is wearing a nice button up shirt and sits a few inches taller than my new friend. I imagine he must be well over six feet.

I happen to like Cooper's laid-back, naturally-hot-slightly-messy appearance and my neighbor's dark-and-mysterious-bad-boy style better than the clean-cut look. But this new guy's sophisticated beauty is intriguing somehow. Plus, I'm an eyes girl, and even from across the room I know I'm going to be a goner for this guy's eyes. I need to get over there and see those beauties up close.

I start to head their direction when a familiar giggle catches my attention. My sister is sitting on top of a table to my right, her feet on the bench, surrounded by boys wearing letter jackets. My brother stands near her, surrounded by more athletes and a swarm of girls who have to be cheerleaders. The entire group is so stereotypically the popular crowd.

I'm not the least bit surprised by the scene. I am, however, glad to see my siblings laughing and smiling. We aren't close, but I don't hate them, and it is my fault they had to move for their senior year. Contrary to what they believe, I want them to be happy. I want them to fit in and find friends and enjoy their last year of school.

My brother's eyes flick my direction and his whole body stiffens when he sees me watching him. He subtly shakes his head, face pleading with me to stay away. I'm not planning to sit with them—I've found my own friends, well, friend—but Eli doesn't know that, and the fact that he isn't willing to invite me to join him hurts.

Elena catches his headshake and follows his gaze. When she sees me, she glares the iciest death look she's capable of. She's a lot angrier about the move than Eli because she had to break up with her boyfriend when we left. She tried to go the long-distance route, but her boyfriend did the smart thing and politely dumped her. The breakup was devastating to Elena and of course she blames me for that too.

I understand my sister's anger, but her hostility still hurts. I refuse to let her see it, though. If she knew she was getting to me, things would only get worse. So I roll my eyes at them both and look back at Cooper. Seeing him makes me smile. He'll be much better company than the twins and their new posse.

As if he knows he's being watched, Cooper looks up and glances around the room until his eyes fall on me. His mouth splits into a wide smile, and he waves me over. I give him a small nod and start walking again.

"Not going to eat with your sister?" a quiet voice asks from behind me.

For the second time today, my neighbor's low, smooth voice sounds nearly in my ear and startles the crap out of me. I jump and huff in exasperation. "You are entirely too quiet," I complain as I whirl around, hand pressed to my pounding heart. "Stop sneaking up on me like that or one of these times my heart is going to actually stop beating."

His mouth quirks up into that amused smirk of his that I both love and want to punch. He ignores my complaint and nods toward the twins. "You don't want to sit with your brother and sister? They're at the popular table, you know. That guy flirting with your sister will definitely be the Homecoming King this year."