Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Mrs. Fortalejo left us.

She just... left.

Like she did not want to deal with what she just heard.

Naiwan kaming tatlo dito sa opisina ko. I had always thought that my office was spacious. Granted that it was not big, but it was big enough for me not to suffocate. But not right now. I felt like the room was too small for the three of us. I felt like the air was quickly escaping my chest.

"Why did you do that?" Samuel asked her.

Shanelle snapped her head at his direction. "What did you want me to do? Just watch as she give herself a heart attack?"

Samuel ran his fingers through his hair with frustration. I didn't understand why it had come to this, pero nandito na. Naiintindihan ko rin na naiipit siya sa nangyayari. This one was a no-win situation. Paano ka nga ba mananalo kung kahit ano ang mangyari, may masasaktan ka?

Shanelle looked at me. "I'm sorry," she said.

Napaawang ang labi ko. This was so... out of character of her. I had not known her for long, but from what I knew? She's not one who apologizes easily. Parang mas mataas pa sa Empire State building ang pride niya. Mas mahalaga para sa kanya iyong tingin ng ibang tao kaysa sa sarili niyang nararamdaman. That's why she was so willing to be with people who didn't really love her the way she deserves to be loved. All for validation.

I feel bad for people like her.

"Secret's out," she said. "I'm pretty sure this would reach my family."

Napatingin sa kanya si Samuel. "No," Samuel said. "I'm sure my mom will not say anything."

Pagak na natawa si Shanelle. "Why? Because it's such a sin? That she'll rather live in denial?"

"Yes," Samuel said. "And I'm sorry, Shanelle."

Hindi nagsalita si Shanelle, but even her silence spoke thousands of words. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang gagawin ko. I wanted to leave the room. I didn't want to be a part of this. I didn't want a front row seat as his marriage unravels. I took no delight from that.

"Can we re-sched the meeting?" Shanelle asked me.

"Of course," I replied.

I knew how sensitive she was with this topic. Baka kailangan niyang puntahan iyong tatay niya. Baka kailangan niyang unahan sa pagsasabi kasi totoo naman na mas maganda kung sa kanya manggagaling.

Having a family is a huge responsibility... Sana alam 'yan ng mga tao bago sila magpakasal, lalo na ang magka-anak. Na hindi naman 'yan mini-me mo lang habang buhay. Magkakaroon 'yan ng sariling isip. Paano kung hindi akma sa paniniwala mo? Itatakwil mo na lang? Kasi hindi mo kagaya?

Ang hirap.

"Dea—" Samuel said, but paused. "Atty. Manjarrez," he continued, correcting himself. "I'm sorry for what my mom did."

"Why did she think that I abandoned you?" I asked him when we were left alone.

This has been ringing in my mind the first time I heard it.

Gusto ko lang malaman kung ano ba iyong nangyari para sa kanya. Kasi parang magkaiba kami ng naaalala. Ang alam ko, nandon ako sa kanya hanggang sa huli. Kasi alam ko na nilaban ko siya. Pero baka iba iyong nangyari. Baka sobrang nasaktan lang ako na iba na iyong sinasabi ko sa sarili ko.

"I don't know."

"Really?"

He looked at me. "I did not say that you abandoned me."