Ecstasy

A day like that came rarely into one's life, if ever.

Probably for the first time ever Ishan felt everyone looking at him when he was with walking with Shubman in the after match party. The Indian top order had collapsed that day...which some mean but truthful people said was exactly what they had expected from the top order... but the middle order had luckily managed to put a clutch. Still, without Ishan's eighty run partnership with Jaddu bhai, their chances would have been very low.

The first thing Rohit bhai had done after taking the trophy was thrusting it into Ishan's hands, saying, "All yours, kiddo. I am just so proud."

Ishan may have burst into tears from his words, but the smoke from the fireworks may also have been responsible.

They were so beautiful. The fireworks. The Indian colours waving in the crowd. Ahmedabad hollering 'Chak de India.' Shubman's perfect face made even more perfect with the tears in his eyes and the unearthly joy in his face every time he kissed Ishan all over his face, and shouted to everyone, "MY BEST FRIEND WON THE FINAL FOR US!"

That, combined with the wildest drinks he had ever seen in his life in the after match party gifted to them for free by joyous bartenders made Ishan feel like he was high on ecstasy, both in the figurative and the literal sense.

Even Virat bhai had forgotten his health principles tonight and seemed so crazy Ishan was sure he had drunk, too. He and Jaddu bhai and Shikhar bhai who had flown in for the final were dancing so exuberantly people had to move to avoid being collided into.

Shubman laughed as he watched them.

"They are the best," he shouted. "Thank you for winning a World Cup for them, Ish!"

Nisha, alongside them, echoed it. "Thanks for winning a World Cup for us, Ish!"

"I didn't win a World Cup," said Ishan. "We all won a World Cup."

"God, just be quiet and accept it, okay?" Shubman took his arm from Ishan's shoulder and offered him a hand. "Want to dance with me, darling?"

Ishan didn't feel fully capable of taking straight steps. But he put away his martini glass and accepted Shubman's hand anyway.

"Okay," he said. "If we fall, it'll probably be due to me, but I'll refuse responsibility."

"Deal," said Shubman, laughing again.

"All right, before you guys start, I'll be off.... my flight is in three hours," said Nisha.

"What?" Shubman protested. "You didn't say you're going today!"

"Well, I wanted you to focus on the final," said Nisha. "I have an important meeting tomorrow morning that I must attend. And we'll meet whenever you come home anyway."

"If you have a meeting...." Shubman didn't look happy, but made an effort to make up for what he'd done the day Nisha came. "I'll drop you to the airport."

"Shubman," said Nisha. "You are sloshed. As your best friend, I will not allow you to go anywhere but straight to your hotel room. Plus, Rahul bhai booked a cab for me."

Shubman took a step forward to hug her and nearly stumbled down. Now Ishan knew where their dance was heading. Definitely on the floor.

"Bye, Ishan," said Nisha.

"Bye, see you...."

She left with a wave.

"Um, Shubi," said Ishan. "Normally when someone else says they're your best friend, you immediately say they're not your best friend, I'm your best friend. Were you too sloshed to do that right now?"

"Not exactly," said Shubman. "Nisha and I-we just decided not to, well, see each other as more than friends anymore, so I....I obviously didn't want to...."

"I see."

"But on a cheerful note, she's my best friend and you said you'll marry me, so you don't have to fight for being my best friend anymore!" Shubman's demeanour changed from upset to cheerful at once as he held out his hand again. "In the light of everything, you owe me a dance."

Ishan, whose thoughts were running much slower than normal, accepted it again.

So they started to dance.

Ishan wished the song was slower.

Of course the song was not slow. It was the sort of songs you could only jump and yell along with like you were crazy, like you were supposed to do when you have won a WC and like everyone else was doing, including Shubman.

Including Ishan, too (he had no idea how they did it without falling), but he wished the song was slow.

On the second song, Shubman was the first to overbalance.... Ishan had a pretty good idea how much his friend's head was spinning, because he knew how much his own was.

Ishan caught Shubman against himself before he fell.

Then his head spun overtime, so fast he wondered if he might black out.

"You know," Ishan heard himself say from a fair distance. "Ever since you created that scandal on the stump mic about the whole shirt-sweat thing, I realised I want to do it."

Shubman straightened himself and laughed, pulling Ishan's hand to his shirt.

"Ah, you're always welcome, Ishu," he said, winking.

Is he serious?

Is he joking?

Is he serious?

Is he joking?

That mischievous gleam in Shubman's eyes combined with his dimples was simply, Ishan thought, not fair.

The little bit he could think through his spinning head was slipping.

An uncontrollable, wild sort of hunger starting in his lower abdomen had started to take over.

"Yes, I mean we wouldn't be the first ones," said Ishan, not sure who was speaking, him or the hunger. "All the American shows show best friends kissing each other just as trial."

"Best friends kissing each other just as trial?" said Shubman. "Yeah, sounds believable."

Ishan had steered them out into the corridors. In fact he wasn't sure if he had been the one doing the steering, but he thought he had.

"A lot of people must do, even in our country," said Shubman thoughtfully.

"A lot of people do," repeated Ishan.

They had now backed into a room. Ishan didn't know what it was for. He did not care.

"Yeah, I've definitely heard of them," said Shubman.

"Want to try?" Ishan blurted out.

"Wh-what?" asked Shubman.

Ishan spoke the first damage control line he could think of.

"Challenge you?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: If you're waiting for the next chapter, drop in a comment! I'd like to know if I'm the only one who is excited for it!