THE PROLOGUE

HE CRASHES OUT OF THE BAR, blood leaking down his chin

HE CRASHES OUT OF THE BAR, blood leaking down his chin. Moonlight outlines the downtown buildings in liquid silver, golden lights reeking down their sides. Cars flash by with the hot smells of exhaust, sewage, and drunken laughter.

The boy collapses, gazing in a dazed high at the nightly bustle.

"You shouldn't be here," I tell him. He's obviously too young, but he probably knows this.

"I won't be for long." He breathes loudly, with pain, and I'm unsure if it's only because of his shattered nose. He sways. I wonder if his knees are pressing on the remnants of smashed beer and smoked gravel. I count to four. He glances over in my direction. "What are you, my social worker?" He grins lazily, shadows scattered across his forehead.

"I prefer entrepreneur." My claws twitch. The streetlights flash green, and the wind picks up again. "You should go home, kid."

He snorts, eyes fluttering. Anytime now.

I count to six.

His eyes dart to me again. "Are you hiding, lady?"

"Waiting."

"You batman or something?"

A car shrieks, swerving upon the avenue, its passengers screaming in terror. I look up, my eyes finding the stars and the moon. My darling. "Once Upon a Time, there was a little girl."

Cold, monstrous and infinite, sweeps over the buildings, sinking down into the ground in streaks of mist. "Once Upon a Time, there was a little boy who was not quite a boy."

I close my eyes, savouring the sweetness. "Once Upon a Time, there was a beautiful Princess, who was dying and fighting and did not give up."

The boy whispers something alike to I want to be a princess.

Sure you do.

"Once Upon a Time, there was a warrior who had a vision."

The boy drops dead. Eyes wide, half soaked in his own blood and snot.

"And there was me."

Every single light in the city goes out, one by one. Screams build like fire, oozing out of the bar behind me. Monsters come out to play, starved rats in a city of ants.

It's all right, I want to tell all the shivering souls. You will have your redemption.

I turn inwards, and you're there.

You have the best part.

You get to see everybody die.